Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truck Radios?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    has it evolved to USB sticks? my view better than CD not skipping like the saturn does, Wave files on a stick that plugs in would be nice.
    I think most have a USB port, but I don't know anyone that uses them. It's easier to just sync it with your phone.

never had a cell, might if they put a phone in my panasonic camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    has it evolved to USB sticks? my view better than CD not skipping like the saturn does, Wave files on a stick that plugs in would be nice.
    You'd want to check that the device you buy plays the file type you want. I tried transferring some mp3 files to a small USB drive, they played as expected. I'm not sure about .wav files, never tried it. I bought a discontinued 'radio' from Best Buy, paid <$50. Around here AM is just about useless, I guess due to old electrical infrastructure. I use an adapter bought from Amazon to connect an iPhone to the aux port. Works fine.

Curt is correct that it's important to check specifications relative to supported media and file types if that's important to the buyer. There are many folks who have put their music library on USB or other media types as they moved on from CDs. But I'm yet another person who streams my personal media library from my iPhone while driving long distances and not streaming WXPN.org for some reason. I haven't used a CD or other discrete media in many, many years in a vehicle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to have a old popular mechanics magazine from the late 1950's. It had a review of a car, maybe Dodge, that had a record player in the trunk. They said it was fine while parked but skipped around when drivng. I think it had special deep grove records.
    Bill D

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...-audio-part-2/

wholly crap. Im old school but that is a bit too old for me.

I bought a used factory replacement on Ebay for my Bose radio and when it came it didn't work either. After going through the hassle of getting my money back I went to Crutchfield and bought a new radio along with the wiring harness. It was a fairly quick install and it works great. Price was reasonable.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I bought a used factory replacement on Ebay for my Bose radio and when it came it didn't work either. After going through the hassle of getting my money back I went to Crutchfield and bought a new radio along with the wiring harness. It was a fairly quick install and it works great. Price was reasonable.
    Hey Gordon, did you notice much of a difference between the sound of Bose & the replacement head unit? The system in my truck is Bose, and I'll get flamed by the audio purists for this, but it's the best audio system I've ever had. It's just that only the radio works & there is no simple way to connect an aux input.

Frank, most often, the "name brand" on the vehicle entertainment systems apply mostly to the amp and speakers, at least on current generations of vehicles. With the level of vehicle integration for "non entertainment" things, a manufacturer is most likely going to use the same head unit regardless and the higher end audio starts at the back of that. The head units are contract manufactured to spec buy a number of companies, some with familiar names and some less known like Denso.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Frank, most often, the "name brand" on the vehicle entertainment systems apply mostly to the amp and speakers, at least on current generations of vehicles. With the level of vehicle integration for "non entertainment" things, a manufacturer is most likely going to use the same head unit regardless and the higher end audio starts at the back of that. The head units are contract manufactured to spec buy a number of companies, some with familiar names and some less known like Denso.
    My Bose system consists of the head unit, power amps and speakers. I'm only going to change the head unit. But something Bose has always done is apply some pretty heavy correction curves to get the sound they want (sometimes with success, sometimes not so much). I'm wondering if that correction is applied in the heat unit or the amplifiers.