Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Radios?

Truck Radios?

My '95 Dodge Ram's been a great work truck and I'm keeping it for awhile longer, but it needs a new radio.

where do I look for a replacement? I don't need anything fancy as I mainly listen to AM. Appreciate any suggestions!
    WoodsShop

Probably buy a used one at a junkyard or on ebay. But I went to Amazon and searched for > simple car radio < and several were available for under $50.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Try Crutchfield. I got a replacement for my oloder VW from them. Great fit.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YUeDBo...rselector.aspx
    Howard Garner

4. I'm no expert, and I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, but my experience with any after market AM radio in a vehicle has been a disappointment. I'd look for an OEM radio from a wrecking yard if I wanted a good AM radio.
    Edit..I have not tried Crutchfield.
    Last edited by Jim Jackson Wyoming; 02-21-2021 at 7:13 PM.

Wow. I didnt know Crutchfield was still in business. That's a great idea!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

ive left what mine came with, I hooked up home speakers to it one day and it sounded very good. Need an antenna though. Tried the cassette and it sounded good till it stopped, then removal was an adventure.

P1040589A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-21-2021 at 7:44 PM.

Crutchfield for sure...they have a handy utility that also helps you ascertain what will fit in and work with your particular vehicle and when required, they can provide the necessary doo-dads and adapters that permit retention of vehicle functions, such as controls on the steering wheel, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

they have controls on the steering wheel? Whats next you are going to tell me there are windows that dont have crank handles to roll them up?

Blog Entries
    A REAL truck back in Kansas wouldn't even have window cranks. It would have vise grips. I've seen so many that I wondered if they come that way.

I was going to suggest some of the Mopar radio resellers (recyclers) but I looked at Crutchfield and they have an AM/FM CD receiver for your truck for $22.99 and have the installation kit discounted to FREE. A bit hard to beat if you are only trying to get AM radio.

thanks Roger,

Bit hard on the threads but got a smile, my door panels are off from when I rust proofed, handles are in the glove box. Door panels will go back on, soon it will be spring again and my therapy on wheels will be on the road again. Antenna should get addressed this year as well but usually im pretty fine just to listen to the motor.

Blog Entries
    Crutchfield has an excellent utility for picking the right stereo for your vehicle & with the features you want. And they have very good phone support if you have additional questions.

AFIK truck radios are the same as most car radios. My wife's 1988 oldsmobile was a little odd it had a separate head and a main body buried deeper in the console. Not used in the identical buick version.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    The CD changer/radio in my Sierra is toast & a factory replacement is extremely expensive. I used the Crutchfield site & found several head units that are in the $150 - $250 range that includes all the adapters, harnesses, etc. It connects to the existing power amps & speakers, works with the steering wheel controls, and most important to me, has bluetooth. About the only thing it doesn't do is play actual disks, but I haven't listened to a physical disk in years anyway. Install looks to be pretty easy.

has it evolved to USB sticks? my view better than CD not skipping like the saturn does, Wave files on a stick that plugs in would be nice.