Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YASST - Yet another table saw/sawstop thread

Given the layout of my workshop (basement longer than wide), a slider could actually work nicely if the total distance wasn't that much more than the cabinet saw.

36" PCS listed dimensions: 69 1/8" x 33" - What are realistic usable dimensions? The downside for the cabinet saw is that realistically it needs its width for the table, but you also need outfeed space if you're ripping (which can be shared with something else). Again, due to the layout, the slider might actually fit better (takes up less of my precious width).

What's a nice "short stroke slider" that's a reasonable comparison with realistic usable dimensions?

Hammer K3, for sale in the classifieds, but you are on opposite sides of the country.

I was always under the impression that a Hammer K3 was quite a bit more expensive than the SawStop PCS. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

No you are correct, but the one in the classifieds is very nice for the price and barely used.

P.S. I have no connection to the seller, other than that saw is calling my name and I currently have a very nice Sawstop setup.

Has anyone mounted the folding outfeed table on the PCS with the ICS base? I've seen mostly reviews saying it cannot fold all the way down, but one comment said it could by mounting it slightly further from the saw. Personal experience?

The SS folding table most likely hits the 4" dust extraction port on the back of the machine as it folds down.

I made a folding table for my PCS, before Sawstop offered their option. I doubled up 3/4" plywood and connected it to the rear rail with a heavy duty piano hinge.

My sawstop, put away, on the ICS base with the table folded down.
    You can just make out the fold down table under the saw and on the back edge of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    No you are correct, but the one in the classifieds is very nice for the price and barely used.

P.S. I have no connection to the seller, other than that saw is calling my name and I currently have a very nice Sawstop setup.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Chris. I often see advice to buy the K3 rather than a SawStop but rarely see the price difference mentioned. The K3 listed here does seem like a good deal for someone.
    I also made an outfeed table for my SawStop. Mine has a narrow ledge before the hinge break so that when folded it clears the DC connection but has a pretty useful length when in use. I’m in a single car garage so finding spare inches is always a goal.
    Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    The SS folding table most likely hits the 4" dust extraction port on the back of the machine as it folds down.
    Exactly. The folding table doesn’t go completely vertical, due to the port, but it’s almost there, and it’s not a big deal. (The ICS mobile base has little to do with that.)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-23-2021 at 5:25 AM.

I would totally grab that K3 if it wasn't on the other side of the country from me! If anyone is getting rid of a mint one in California for a reasonable, I'm all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Exactly. The folding table doesn’t go completely vertical, due to the port, but it’s almost there, and it’s not a big deal. (The ICS mobile base has little to do with that.)
    I've thought about moving the dust port to the right side of the saw (which would involve boring a 4+ inch hole through the side of the cabinet). I don't know why SS doesn't put a hole on the side and let you choose side or back for the port. There's nothing in the way and it would be trivial. But as Doug said, it folds almost all the way down so it doesn't bother me enough to make the modification. Although since in my case it would eliminate one 90 in the duct it would probably improve dust collection a tad.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

What about the minimax sc2? Pricier than the sawstop ics, but not insanely so