Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your oldest woodworking machine?

Old 1970s cast iron Craftsman drill press. I realize it's not as impressive as some of the others, and you can get them for $100 on Craigslist, but it belonged to my dad, and still works pretty well. Was about to replace it with a newer model to get a table that cranks up and down, when I saw somebody had posted the trailer jack trick.

I sold my dad's table saw to somebody who appreciated it, which was another 1970s craftman. I would have held onto that for sentimental reasons, but the fence was just too wonky. I like my SawStop a lot better as a tool, but doesn't have quite the same level of sentiment.

PXL_20210118_020543316.jpg

Delta 1200 scroll saw, 1937-40, my favorite machine. I’ve got a bunch of 100+ year old hand tools, but those aren’t machines. Most sentimental is a 1/4” power drill which I have been unable to identify as to manufacturer. Belonged to my dad.

Oldest I purchased new is my 1989 Shopsmith. Oldest purchased used is my 1950's Shopsmith jigsaw.
    Shopsmith work light.jpgIMG_0621_3.JPG
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My oldest woodworking machine?? I'll be 75 in a few weeks. Does that count?

My olderst are either the Greenlee vertical borer or the Fay and Egan mortiser. both late 20's or early 30's.

Whitney 77 is 1932
    Oliver 217 is 1936
    Yates Y20 is 1938

Lots of stuff from 1950s and 1960s

The newer stuff has some benefits, and i have some of those machines. Even the high end machines are made much more cheaply than the old though. the 1930s stuff will outlast the 2000. Wish I could say the same for me. Dave

The oldest machine I use actively is a circa 1948 Delta drill press. It is the floor model style, but with the bench base. My dad got it originally from 3M for $5 and spent more money than a new drill press to rehab it back in the early 70s. I spent more money than a new drill press overhauling it in the 90s. I'm not sure either of us came out ahead. Although in its current state, it probably has less runout than the 90s vintage drill press he picked up when he gave the '48 to me, which I now have also.

I have older ones but I don't use them, like a '30s vintage 4" jointer and an ancient Y column drill press.

I had a Delta 37-220 jointer. Original owner said he bought it from someone else in 80s. Interestingly, it had only one part (pull cover) missing which I found on eBay. Sold it an year ago when we moved from US.

Now the oldest tool is a Stanley #3. I guess from 60-70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My first thought was that the oldest machine in my shop was me. But then I remembered that I have a few type 11 Stanley planes that are older than me.
    I have some wooden planes that were passed down to me from my ancestors, that are still functional. Their exact age would probably require carbon dating, and I’m unwilling to make that sacrifice, because it would probably be destructive. You people and your modern methods...

Machine wise, the oldest are my Shopfox Cabinet Saw and Dust Collector, early 2000's. Tool wise, it's a 1931-1932 Stanley Bailey No 3 I just recently restored. Actually, now that I think about it, while not a fine WW tool, the oldest power tool that I have is my Milwaukee saw-z-all, late 90's.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

1949 Oliver 16” jointer
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

My sawstop dates back to 2016

My fathers tools which were all from the 80's were gifted to my grandfather because he had the time to use them. When I bought a house and my grandfather had passed I asked my grandmother if I can move them back to my house she said no they were the families tools. So I started buying new

Crescent 32" band saw. Not sure of mfg. date, 1898 on main casting. Still used daily.

Blog Entries
    I have an old Walker Turner jig saw that my brother gave me. The problem with that thing is that the cast iron bed is missing and has been replaced with a hand made aluminum plate. I think the CI was necessary to keep the vibration down. I may try to give it back to my brother.

All my stationary machines are vintage. Oldest is likely my Heston & Anderson 14” bandsaw. Not sure the date but likely 1920’s.

Blog Entries
    Mid 50's Homecraft lathe. My father bought it new.