Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your oldest woodworking machine?

What's your oldest woodworking machine?

I got this idea from another woodworking forum.
    I thought it would be interesting to see what SMC members have for old woodworking machines.

My oldest is a circa 1900 Putnam sliding gap bed pattern makers lathe, s/n 13. This is a cross between a woodworking lathe and a metalworking lathe.
    It was made in Fitchburg, MA.
    The swing over the ways is 24", swing over gap is 36", and the max length between centers is 86" when the bed is completely open. It weighs somewhere between 3000 to 3500 lbs.
    It is a very smooth running machine - no vibration.

IMG_1260.jpgIMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpgIMG_1259.jpgIMG_0845.jpg

Regards,

Phil

Besides me. My Great Grandfather’s turn of the century Stanley #5
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

My Atlas Bandsaw or maybe one of my hand planes. I've never cared enough to date the planes.

Is a hand plane a machine?

In terms of power tools, I have an Oliver 166 12” jointer that dates from 1940 and a Tannewitz Model U table saw from a few years after. Both are still singing sweetly after all these years (knock on wood.)
    Still waters run deep.

My nearly 100 year old #5 Sweetheart plane is the oldest. Unfortunately, I am not very good working with these experienced tools. The coolest is my new in the box Stanley #4 from the 1940's. It still has the price tag on the box ($4.95 for anyone who cares).
    Most everything else is from this century.

You guys are killing me. All I have is my Granddad's early 70's Craftsman scroll saw. Still works like a champ, although the new operator needs more help.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Oldest machine is my old Oliver 36" bandsaw. 1919 I think. Just shuffled the shop so it's still on it's pallet, doesn't get used much but works fantastically when I do. I have a few 1700's hand planes too, but they aren't machines. I bought it from a guy who intended to make it work in Montana, he got it from a trade school. It was a line belt machine originally, been converted to more modern drive. Still runs babbit bearings which will no doubt last much longer than I will.

That is a sweet lathe Phillip! I have an Oliver 159 that looks really modern compared to that beast.

Bandsaw.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 02-21-2021 at 5:25 PM.

I have a Powermatic Model 81 bandsaw, circa mid sixties and. a Walker Turner drill press, mid fifties and a Canadian made Rockwell lathe, maybe 1970?

I have a late 19th century Stanley #7 plane that gets frequent use, although it’s not a machine...Regards, Rod.

Just got my Dad's 1956 Shopsmith. Had fun replacing all the bearings and belts. Runs like new now. I plan is to use it as a disk sander, horizontal drill press, and try turning.

Beaver 6 inch Jointer Model 3800.
    Jointer - 1.jpgJointer - 2.jpg

The only power tools remaining from my first acquisitions for the tiny, one-car shop I started this affliction with is my Jet 17" DP and 12" Delta miter saw...so that would be circa 1997 or so for both. The latter doesn't even live "in" my present shop. It's upstairs where I store my lumber since I only really use it for breaking stuff down and occasionally cutting a piece of aluminum angle. The DP works great and just recently got a new shop made table to replace the original one I made in about 2000.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Rockwell floor model drill press. A guy that was closing his shop for retirement gave it to me along with some other things about 25 years ago. I don’t know when it was made, maybe in the 70’s . I had an Atlas that was a lot older. I gave it to my son. He still has it.
    Charlie Jones

My first thought was that the oldest machine in my shop was me. But then I remembered that I have a few type 11 Stanley planes that are older than me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Brookman 25 spindle automatic dovetailer, in the 50's at least, service tech in England sort of dated it once but forgotten. All different years mostly older stuff. 60's to 80's.

Blog Entries
    Oldest stationary would be a 1943 newman #60. Oldest tool would be a 1870s Disston back saw