Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Power Envoy

Record Power Envoy

Does anybody have one of these or know much about them? I am looking to upgrade and this one has really caught my attention.

I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nesmith View Post
    I guess not.
    You posted this on Sunday afternoon - give it some time Rusty. (don't think this second post will help your cause much)

Rusty -- Where are you located? Most of the members of this forum are in the United States. As far as I can tell, Record Power does not distribute its lathes to the USA. They are available in Canada. And, of course, they are available in the UK and the rest of Europe. From what I've gleaned from those who've used Record Power's lathes, they seem to be well made and deliver good value. However, I've not seen (except on video) nor used one. I doubt many on this forum have, either.

Good luck.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

David I live in West Virginia. There are a few places in the states that carry Record Power. Record Power looks like they are trying to get a market here. The spindle is 1.25 - 8 tpi instead of metric. I love all of the features but just found a deal breaker a few minutes ago. The speed range is 250-750, 550-1650 and 1300-3800. That looks like too many belt changes for my liking. I am looking closer at the Nova Saturn now. I have never had a lathe with rotating headstock but it looks like it will help me a lot. Thanks for the reply.

Rusty, This is weird. I just now got on the forum to ask the same question. The Record does look like a very well made lathe and yes they are selling them in the U.S.A. with a very competitive price. I've found that Highland Woodworking in Atlanta sell them. The next time I'm in Atlanta I plan on checking it out. I've owned the Nova Saturn and the Nova Orion with no complaints on either. However, I like the looks and size of Record and if I'm not mistaken they have been making lathes since the early 50's ? The Robust is nice but is more than I care to spend on a lathe. Good luck and I hope someone can fill us in on the Record lathe.

Rusty -- Good luck with your search. I almost bought a Nova Saturn last Spring. It wasn't going to be my primary lathe, but I thought it would be a good addition to my shop. I didn't buy it simply because it was out of stock. By the time it was in stock, I'd decided to remodel the entire shop and spent my budget (and time) on that, instead.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nesmith View Post
    David I live in West Virginia. There are a few places in the states that carry Record Power. Record Power looks like they are trying to get a market here. The spindle is 1.25 - 8 tpi instead of metric. I love all of the features but just found a deal breaker a few minutes ago. The speed range is 250-750, 550-1650 and 1300-3800. That looks like too many belt changes for my liking. I am looking closer at the Nova Saturn now. I have never had a lathe with rotating headstock but it looks like it will help me a lot. Thanks for the reply.
    Rusty, they are available Down Under and are a step up from their basic lathe. As for the belt change, a lot of lathes are doing this so you can use the full versatility of the VSD. Unless you are roughing down badly out of balance blanks, you would leave it on the middle step and it would work for almost all your work.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Harold, Highland is where I was looking also. For me there was an added $230 shipping fee. It does look like a nice lathe. The only thing the Record has over the Nova it looks like to me is the magnetic control pendant and 39” outboard turn. The Nova has the advantage of no belt changes. It is a difficult choice. Good luck to you also.

Rusty, The thing that made me uncomfortable about the Nova Saturn and Orion is that it's completely computerized with circuit boards. I'm not sure what it would cost to replace those when out of warranty? I had an issue with the Orion with the automatic breaking. As it turned out it was caused by a bad chip and the board was replaced by Nova under warranty. Of course I might not have ever had another problem but I'm not sure how computer boards will hold up on lathes considering all the vibrations and dust they are exposed to over time?

I know nothing about Record. Though I've never heard anything bad about any of their products. In looking at it, it is a beautiful machine and looks like a good value. The only thing I don't like (just from the photos) is that you have to go around back to change belt ranges.. My first thought when seeing it, was "Is the Powermatic 2014 a better choice?". IDK. I do know I would pick the Record or the PM over a Nova lathe. Personally, I just don't like the digital control interface and aesthetics on the Nova. They do seem to be very reliable though. What about the Harvey T-40, have you considered it?
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-22-2021 at 7:52 PM.

Tom, The Record also has a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle and a 2HP motor. Agreed, changing the belts could be an aggravation. Choices, choices. The advantage Record has over the Powermatic 2014, is the rotating headstock and not having to lean over the lathe to hollow a bowl. Easier on the back, I say.

I just checked the speed range against my Rikon and they are the same. For some reason when I read 250-750 the 750 sounded low. I very seldom have to move the belt now so that shouldn’t change. I know with the RP the motor and VFD are replaceable and with the Nova they are not. That is something to think about. What really sells me on the RP is having the pendant controller and not having to reach around what you are turning every time you want to start, stop or change speeds. It almost sounds like I am trying to talk myself into buying the RP. 😀

Just pulled the plug and ordered the Record Power.

I consider 3 speed ranges as an advantage because of the increased torque available. I consider the minimum speed of 250 rpm way too high and a deal breaker.