Thread: Stool from Scraps

Stool from Scraps

I had some leftover offcuts that were just enough to make a little A&C step stool. Its' roughly 12' x 18' and about 10" high. The legs are mortised into the top and each has double wedges. The stringers are all blind M&T joints with miter cut tenons that have been pinned to add strength. It's as sturdy as a rock. Finish is the Homestead Mission Method shown here: LINK. Topcoat is shellac and wax except the top, where I added a coat of semi gloss Poly to make it more durable. We don't really have a place for it so I thought I'd donate it to the Boys and Girls Club silent auction this year. I made a piece last year that did very well and am hoping this one does too.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That's a sturdy and beautiful bench! And I truly appreciate that you made it from material on-hand...that's a wonderful way to honor the wood. I'm sure this piece will do well for the charity you select.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great project, Rob. Wedged through tenons are on my bucket list. Love the look. Nice job.

Very nice. Love the grain selection and the finish. I'm sure the auction and buyer will be pleased with the donation.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

It shouts "STRONG!" It will be well received by anyone who is lucky enough to get it.

Looks great! You're better than me - I made bird houses from the scraps I had.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    It shouts "STRONG!" It will be well received by anyone who is lucky enough to get it.
    Thanks. It's pretty stout, I think it would hold up a car.

Nice stool! Solid. Attractive design and finish!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice and The through tenons look great. I cannot detect the wedges. Did you run them perpendicular to the bench top grain?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Very nice and The through tenons look great. I cannot detect the wedges. Did you run them perpendicular to the bench top grain?
    They run perpendicular to the top grain but parallel with the QS grain of the legs. When they were flush cut they essentially disappeared. If you look close at the shot below (this was during the finishing process) you can just make them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images