Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stud sensor, harbor freight has the best one

stud sensor, harbor freight has the best one

Really, Harbor Fright has a USA made Franklin stud sensor that is better then anything else I have ever tried. This is not a knockoff made in China. AFAIK it is the only made in USA thing they sell.
    Home Depot caries it for double the price. This may be the start of harbor fright improving the quality of it's merchandise. I know they have doubled or tripled the prices on some tools and claim to be higher quality with new improved brand names and new colors to differentiate them from the same old junk. It is still almsot all made in china.
    Bil lD.

https://harborfreight.com/hand-tools...der-57219.html
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-21-2021 at 9:21 AM.

Good to know, Bill. A stud finder is a "must have tool" and for anyone who lives in a house or apartment, not just people who do major work.

HFT has been upping quality for sometime now. Like anything, you have to "know what you're looking at", of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used that Franklin 710, since they first came out with it. It's the best tool ever for putting up crown molding. You can use one hand to hold it, and the molding, while it pushes the molding up to your mark. Then shoot the nail with the other hand. It's not the most sensitive one, but works great through drywall.

Looks like the same tool.

I think the Franklin Sensors stud finders are great. Way better than others and very accurate.

Harbor Freight isn't selling the product for far less than HD and others. Harbor Freight is carrying a different less expensive model than HD is. The list price is $37.99. HF has always had a few things made in the USA, but not often tools.

Brian, after what you said I looked at the differences the Hoe depot one has 13 sensors instead of 15, a bubble level and ruler in blue plastic. The HF one has 15 sensors no level, no ruler in yellow plastic for about 50% less. The level might be somewhat useful. I see no need for a mini ruler.
    I do wonder how long HF will carry this item. If you want one maybe you should get one before they are gone. It may be a one time purchase never to be renewed. Kind of expensive for the HF crowd and the maker may decide they do not want their quality associated with HF.
    Bil lD

I need a new one, this is the ticket I think.

Speaking of stud finders - any advice for using them with a textured ceiling? Mine are mostly stippled and man it’s a PITA using a stud finder with all those bumps and sharp pieces hanging down (mainly in my garage where I’ve installed bike/canoe lifts and above garage door storage). I’m installing monkey bars in my basement soon and will have the same issue.

Anyone have one that works through thick plaster and wood lath?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    A small finishing nail hammered in every inch or so.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    A small finishing nail hammered in every inch or so.

But yea...there were times I did that back in the day before I discovered electronic stud-finders.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Brian, after what you said I looked at the differences the Hoe depot one has 13 sensors instead of 15, a bubble level and ruler in blue plastic. The HF one has 15 sensors no level, no ruler in yellow plastic for about 50% less. The level might be somewhat useful. I see no need for a mini ruler.
    I do wonder how long HF will carry this item. If you want one maybe you should get one before they are gone. It may be a one time purchase never to be renewed. Kind of expensive for the HF crowd and the maker may decide they do not want their quality associated with HF.
    I already have a Franklin Sensors 710 stud finder that I bought for $50 from Amazon about a year ago.

The M150 is a slightly better product because it has the sensors and LEDs closer together. Yes, this model is quite a bit less expensive than Home Depot, but you're not comparing the same model. This is probably the one I would have bought if it was available a year ago. The Franklin Sensors website still shows it as coming soon.

The stud finder that I’ve find the most reliable and accurate is a “Japanese” stud finder. I googled it and see that Garrett Wade carries it. I Don’t know how to display links on this iPad. It is non electronic, pokes a tiny needle through the sheet rock and stops when it encounters a solid object. I’ve had several contractors purchase these after they saw me use one.
    Many years ago I had to use my electronic stud finder at the office and my assistant who was recently single was standing nearby. I handed her the stud finder and said she might find it handy. She handed it back and asked how come when I was holding it it was not beeping? Years of laughs over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    This may be the start of harbor fright improving the quality of it's merchandise. I know they have doubled or tripled the prices on some tools and claim to be higher quality with new improved brand names and new colors to differentiate them from the same old junk. l
    Last summer, I bought one of their "Pierce" brand roofing gun to shingle both my shop and house. Shed on back of shop had to be completely rebuilt, new rafters, sheathing, and shingles. Installing the shingles, not once did the Pierce gun misfire. I can't say the same for my Hitachi framing gun. Yes HF is bringing up the quality of their tools.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-22-2021 at 8:23 PM.

I do, but I'll have to look to see what make, and model it is. I used it to prove that there was an old doorway in a plastered over, late 18th Century wall. That was through pretty thick plaster, and wooden lath. It showed every stud, and where their edges were, as well as the header over the doorway. I do remember that it wasn't a cheap one.

edited to add: I looked online. It's some high end Zircon, but it looks like they have some newer models now. I think it cost around a hundred bucks, and finds other things, like wires, as well as a wood mode.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-22-2021 at 1:10 PM.

A stack of small super magnets.
    They will stick to every nail or drywall screw.
    Locate them and put a piece of blue painters tape on the spot and you will find center of the studs.

You might not find this at Harbor Freight, but I use the Bosch D-TECT 150. The D-TECT 150 works well on nearly any surface and is the only sensor that works on the concrete walls of my house.