Thread: A simple little stool that wasn’t so simple

A simple little stool that wasn’t so simple

My wife requested a small stool like the ones she remembered growing up in Taiwan, so and I came up with the design in the photo. I thought it would be a quick build, and it would have been except for one factor; the compound angles on the legs. They angle out in 2 directions, which quickly makes life interesting.

I wanted a 10 degree angle on both planes, but of course you can’t just set the blade tilt and miter gauge of the table saw at those numbers. After a lot of reading that included charts, setup blocks, or trigonometry (!), I knocked out a quick prototype of the leg assembly. The angles were not extremely precise, and I made the mistake of attempting to glue up the entire assembly at once. The result was humanely dispatched with my mallet.

I decided to try a more intuitive approach that seemed like it would work, and it did. I cut the legs oversized in length with straight cuts, and beveled just the bottom of the apron pieces at 10 degrees. The ends of each apron piece were also cut at 10 degrees. I assembled the 2 long aprons to the legs with dowels to form 2 side assemblies.

What made this process easier for me was building a simple sled (similar to a tapering sled), just a piece of plywood ripped to width with blocks attached to hold the side assembly square to the blade with the legs protruding off the edge. Then the blade was tilted 10 degrees, the legs were cut to the correct length, and voila, a perfect compound angle. I then flipped each assembly around so the top was protruding slightly off the edge, which produced a clean cut across the top of the legs and apron.

After the glue dried, the 2 side assemblies were connected with the end aprons and glued up. When dry, the now completed leg assembly was placed on the sled so the top of the 2 end assemblies could be trimmed flush with the 2 side assemblies to produce a flat, level top.

Since my wife was originally planning to use this in her garden with lots of outdoor exposure, I built it from some clear redwood that has been hanging around waiting for the right project. I tested several finishes, even though any finish will probably fade if left outside. I ended up using Rubio Monocoat because it didn’t yellow the redwood like most other finishes. As it turns out, she likes the bench too much to use it in the garden, so it will live indoors.

Sorry if my explanation isn’t clear. This whole process probably sounds complicated, but it’s really not. It was a fun problem to solve and build.
    82B568C8-B770-4240-94E1-CF3064CB54CD.jpg

The absolute best projects are the ones that make you think hard and work even harder! Bravo on that end result!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well you nailed it! The angles and your choice of wood make a stunning piece.

I like it a lot!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks gentlemen. There’s such positive feedback on this forum, usually from craftsmen who are much more experienced than me.

Nice. You did a good job plowing through the difficulties.
    Charlie Jones

Thanks Charlie. I noticed your location, I was born and raised in North Carolina before coming out west for school years ago. Always thought I would come back but never made it. You’re in some beautiful country! I spent a lot of time camping in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Nicely done. You _might_ (hard to tell from the picture) want a trifle more bevel on the feet for when the stool is inevitably dragged over the floor. I would be thrilled to say I had built that overall, simple, sturdy, elegant.

Nicely done. I think that figuring out process is why I love this craft so much.

Thanks guys. Scott, the feet are actually dead flat on the floor. I photographed the stool in a light box I built for my wife to photograph her pottery, and it barely fit. The front leg is resting on the paper where it starts sloping down, which makes it look like it’s not level.

The clean, simple appearance is perfect. Don't you love it when an idea comes together so well. And the photography presents it very well.

I agree with Jim the best projects are the ones that make you think and difficult to build!

Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kanter View Post
    The clean, simple appearance is perfect. Don't you love it when an idea comes together so well. And the photography presents it very well.
    Even though I shot this with my iPhone, full disclosure is that I’ve been a professional photographer for over 40 years. I’m close to retiring, so that should give me more time for woodworking.