Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to buy a CNC Shop Sabre is out!!

My puny little $80k Okuma turning center came in a sheetmetal crate. The rigger asked if I wanted it, for a shed maybe? Otherwise, they were required to haul it away.

My 24x36 Stinger 1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older...this is not what I expected.

---

Crating aside, the biggest problem I encountered with my machine arrival was the use of a so called "logistics company." In my experience that equates to a company that nickels and dimes shippers from point a to b. My machine got to Canada, and sat in Vancouver while they could find a shipper to deliver to me for a rate they would not lose their shirt on. I am sure some logistics companies are better than others, but as with most things you get what you pay for.

As for crating, I agree with Mark. A sheet of 3/8" OSB may give you comfort, but a dipstick forklift operator will poke a hole in that like nobodies business. We have been involved in repairing 30'-0" long, 8" diameter pipe columns where the forklift operator managed to ram a fork thru the pipe and almost bring the bldg down. We had actually done that repair twice at that bldg.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    My puny little $80k Okuma turning center came in a sheetmetal crate. The rigger asked if I wanted it, for a shed maybe? Otherwise, they were required to haul it away.
    Where I used to work it was the same thing. Much higher priced large machines. Mazak and Okuma. Completely enclosed and a flatbed semi with nothing else on it. Unloaded and moved into position by the millwrights.

Shopsabre sales people are pushy and spend most of their time talking down other machines. They do have a good machine though. Camaster has the worst sales team of any company that I have seen and it seems to have been that way for years. Many people complain that they don't respond to inquiries to purchase the machine but they have good machines and very good customer support once you buy the machine. I just never understood why selling was so unimportant to them. I have never contacted Avid but have never heard a negative thing about them.

Each brand has their own cult following. I wouldn't have a problem with any one of the 3 in the long run.

My assumption is Camaster has, from the onset, gotten ahead of the current business curve of establishing a user base and very active user forum they they pretty much dump everyone to for selling at least their smaller machines. Smart move, create a group that is your uncompensated sales force. Pretty smart. I never got the heavy push from ShopSabre though they also have a pretty tried and true philosophy that you have to seal the deal, the old first rule of selling is that you have to close the deal and ask for the check/deposit/whatever. If your the type that endlessly provides information and never closes that will likely be reflected in your percentage of closed deals.

Shipper damage is something thats hard to pin on the shipper unless its just clearly their fault and thinking that a company should ballistically package their product when they are in a market clearly shown here that everyone is nickel and diming every penny, highly competitive, is not good business either. Id imaging Camaster crates the bulk of their smaller machines (5 sheets) knowing they are going to a lot of hobby folk who are extremely fussy. With OSB and even economy grade framing material running 3x or more I'd imagine that will be reflected in the price or re-thought at some point.

Cant imagine its easy on any end. Contracting with a single national carrier to perhaps head off the grief would likely be pricey and the machine costs would go up dramatically to bullet proof a crate.

Sounds like its too late for the OP as the bridge may be at the bottom of the river in cinders but you wonder what the option of rushing a replacement machine out was.
    Sometimes I just want to look at pretty pictures,... Thats when I go to the Turners Forum

I also was not impressed by Camasters sales team, however I would give high praise to the business manager (can't recall her name) who was very helpful and responsive to my delivery questions and logistics. The technical person I dealt with was also very helpful, however reaching these folks on the phone is difficult...usually have to leave a message. Sales was spotty on responding....support people were much better.

i went on ss facebook page. just cant find unhappy customer. but KNOW their out their.

I see that there is a Shopbot desktop on their forum for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    i went on ss facebook page. just cant find unhappy customer. but KNOW their out their.
    LOL... wouldnt even know how to look as thats the hell hole of the internet. But happy or unhappy who knows.
    Sometimes I just want to look at pretty pictures,... Thats when I go to the Turners Forum

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Seriously? It's a private group so you really don't think they are going to allow anyone to bash the product do you? I think it's probably a good machine just like the CAMaster. I'll probably find out soon because a friend co-worker bought a 4x4. It's supposed to deliver in a couple weeks. 2nd week of March. Hope his doesn't come busted up.

The ShopSabre machines are said to be very good. I haven't fondled one, however, as I didn't know they existed when I was shopping in 2018.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i better be carefull here or will get a email......... .

I was reading on CAMheads tonight and encountered a tail similar to the OP's. It was for the CAMaster Cobra which is getting into the at least midrange machines. Anyway long story short trucker did significant damage to the machine in transit. There had been some communication exchanges between the driver, the buyer, and apparently CAMaster. Before it made it to the buyer they called the truck back to the factory. They had it 4-5 weeks but they in turn shipped the machine back with no evidence of the previous rough handling. It was shrink wrapped on a pallet from his post. So once they hit a certain size/model that's how they are shipped as well. The bottom line is they made it right with the buyer without argument.

Yes, there was a big Cobra leaving the factory when I was there for a tour after training...it was on a (very large) pallet and shrink wrapped...and on an open trailer as it was too wide for an enclosed trailer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...