Thread: retractable wheels

retractable wheels

Looking for retractable wheels/casters that I can hide inside the base of a podium. Once a week this podium is moved from closet to meeting room and back. The other option is a skirt around the base that when lowered would raise the podium and hide the wheels/casters. Both require some leverage mechanism. Either way, the goal is to prevent the podium from moving when a speaker leans on it.
    Bill

check out rockler..they have step on casters for workbenches that might work inside your base if it is open on the back side.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Can you describe the size of the thing Bill.
    It sounds like a small thing, could this work if it is
    If you don't like metal, then have a look at Carl Holmgren's youtube channel, he has made quite a few.

Here's one I made for a light saw, basically the same design as the record power bs250 or the IwoodLIKE bandsaw or planer.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

I second Carl Holmgren, excellent ideas for hidden casters

I've been around a commercial podium which is easily moved. It has wheels hanging off the rear of the base. The wheels do not touch the floor when the podium is being used. To move, the podium gets tilted back so the wheels touch the floor, and the thing can be wheeled around like a wheelbarrow. The wheels are behind the base, so they're invisible to the audience. So there's no moving parts. And anybody can move the podium, not just people who have been given instructions.

Thank you for Carl Holmgren reference. His system for the Mechanic's cabinet is just what I'm looking for.
    Bill

No heavier than a podium is, I'd build in two wheels and maybe some drop down handles on the inside and pull it around like a two wheel dolly.

What Jamie said. Anything else makes little sense by comparison.