Thread: 32mm extra wide angle hinges, drawbacks

32mm extra wide angle hinges, drawbacks

32mm hinges that open extra wide angle. Any reason not to replace two on a cabinet door that opens into my face facing a peninsula in the kitchen. they normal 110 degree or so blocks access. I have to reach around the width of the door to get into the cabinet. Do they come in self closing. Are they weaker. I assume they cost more.

You can buy cup hinges which open to 170 degrees, and you can get them self-close. They cost more than smaller-angle ones. In my experience, they have more play than the smaller-angle ones, and they wear out sooner. But if the standard hinges put the door in your way, you should put up with the larger-angle ones.

In addition to Jamie's comments, they stick farther into the cabinet opening, which probably isn't an issue if this is a wall cabinet, but they could block roll-outs on a base cabinet.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Installed a butt load of them on cabinets for local "Y's". The 120's would get ripped out in just a few days. Did a set of cabinets for pool house at one of the "Y's" in 2008. Original hinges (Hettech) are still in place.