Thread: Are PAX saws any good?

Are PAX saws any good?

Hi guys,
    LV sells an 8" Pax Dovetail saw with 20 tpi. LINK
    I'm trying to find out if it's a good tool or a mediocre tool. (When I think of mediocre tools, the Groz brand often comes to mind.) What do you know about the Pax brand. (I hear it is a sister brand to Lynx, which I also know nothing about.)

Here's what Im up to. I'm cutting a lot of dovetails in 1/4" poplar. The DTs are about 1/2" long. I normally use my LN tapered saw for DTs, but on this thin/soft wood I've come to conclude that I'd prefer a higher tpi count. My Dozuki cuts it nicely, but it feels long and less controllable. So the 8" Pax caught my eye.

If the Pax isn't so great, I'll buy the LV fine cut saw. It has 20 tpi, but it is a bit longer.

Id like to stay under $125.

What do you folks think?

Thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-19-2021 at 5:07 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

LV has a 20tpi dovetail saw. I think I’d just buy that instead and save $25

My first reaction is to tell you to save your money and use the LN saw you already have. If your bent on spending money, I'd go with the LV. There are a number of British brands that have been around for a long time, including Pax. My observation based active participation in the wider WW community for over 20 years: these brands get no love, for a reason.

I bought that PAX dovetail saw, and a 26" rip saw, back in the 1970's. They're okay. That fine toothed little saw really has never been very useful. I never considered either saw to be very sharp, even though the plates are good enough to take a good sharpening.

I just don't see any need for a 20 point saw for dovetails. The only really good use I've had for it was cutting very small cuts on sash muntins-taking part of small mortise shoulder-picture. I bought that saw when I was young, and didn't know any better. That was probably before they started publishing Fine Woodworking magazine, and it was the only "dovetail" saw available in some of the catalogs.

It should do fine on that thin Poplar, but you may want to sharpen it.

Mine has an open handle, as seen in the picture, but I'd guess the plate is the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-19-2021 at 6:39 PM.

I have 2 or 3 Pax saws. They are fine saws. They are made in Sheffield, England by Thomas Flinn and I believe they make saws for several other brands. As far as modern, not hardened mass produced hand saws go, I think they perform very respectably considering the price. And they can be sharpened. I would rather buy boutique hand made saws, but my budget prevents me from doing so. As far as hand saws go, Mine perform well and are worth the price I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi guys,
    LV sells an 8" Pax Dovetail saw with 20 tpi. LINK
    I'm trying to find out if it's a good tool or a mediocre tool. (When I think of mediocre tools, the Groz brand often comes to mind.) What do you know about the Pax brand. (I hear it is a sister brand to Lynx, which I also know nothing about.)

Here's what Im up to. I'm cutting a lot of dovetails in 1/4" poplar. The DTs are about 1/2" long. I normally use my LN tapered saw for DTs, but on this thin/soft wood I've come to conclude that I'd prefer a higher tpi count. My Dozuki cuts it nicely, but it feels long and less controllable. So the 8" Pax caught my eye.

If the Pax isn't so great, I'll buy the LV fine cut saw. It has 20 tpi, but it is a bit longer.

Id like to stay under $125.

What do you folks think?

Thanks,
    Fred

I have a small dozuki with fine teeth I used when first starting dovetails. I actually still use it sometimes. It only has about a 6" blade but will cut dovetails in 3/4" stock.

I got mine in Amazon for under $30, and they ate still about that price, or lee valley has them listed as a fine dozuki for a little more money.

It may be worth looking into.

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyones' thoughts and advice!

Jason, I'd like to have a small dozuki. I must've missed that on Amazon and will go look again. Thanks.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Once again..the saws I have and USE in my shop...
    The saws, for Dovetails 3.JPG
    That small Gents saw? Came from HobbyLobby....The other Gents saw is a Disston No. 68.....large saw is a Disston No. 4
    Next..
    The Saws, Disston #4,Bishop #10.JPG
    I do have the Geo. H. Bishop No. 10 saw. Fine and coarse teeth, plate came be slid up or down as a depth stop, or flipped over to access the coarse teeth as needed.
    The Saws, at the ready.JPG
    It hangs here, beside a Disston D8 Panel saw (10ppi, 20" long) and a Disston D-100 and a D-8 Rip.....This be the Ready Use area.....the bench broom also gets a bit of work. Dremel is connected to a flex shaft...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks guys! I appreciate everyones' thoughts and advice!

Jason, I'd like to have a small dozuki. I must've missed that on Amazon and will go look again. Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.com/SUIZAN-Japane...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Here is a link to the one i have. It is a good saw for the money in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/SUIZAN-Japane...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Here is a link to the one i have. It is a good saw for the money in my opinion
    Thank you! I ordered one!

As far as Japaneze saws go, I have two of the Suizan folding saws (a Ryoba and a Dozuki)bought from Katz Moses. I think they were 30 apiece. They are great saws and and worth the price. Bonus points for folding into the handle and protecting the edge. Both handles have rubber on them, making them very comfortable for long sessions. The handles also have an eyelet for hanging up.

I bought two Pax saws, 26", last year, and like them. They do a good job. One rip and one eight tpi crosscut.
    I also bought a H.K. Porter D-23 with one of those laminated totes, still laminated, and it is a pretty good saw.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I have a 50 year old Pax cross cut hand saw that Mike Allen tuned up and sharpened for me a year ago that cuts beautifully. First tool I bought after carpenters apprentice school and I plan to leave it to my grandson.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks again guys!

If the tote fits and the hang works for you then there is no reason to buy an expensive saw. With expensive saws you are buying "bling" and sharp out of the box (sharp doesn't last long if the saw is used). I have a till full of Bad Axe, LN, TFWW, and lowly Veritas, the Veritas are used as much as any of the others because they work. Of course YMMV and the Bad Axe saws sure are pretty.

ken