Thread: Can Freud Dial a Dado cut a 3/4" dado with Unisaw

Can Freud Dial a Dado cut a 3/4" dado with Unisaw

I am considering a Freud SD608 Dial a Dado for my 1980s Unisaw. I have seen posts from Unisaw users saying they use this dado set successfully, but the Freud website states a requirement for the length of the arbor bolt as: "Measure the length of the arbor on your machine and subtract the thickness of the arbor nut from that measurement. If what you have left is at least 1-3/32” then you can cut up to a 3/4” dado with your saw." My arbor bolt is 1 1/4" and the nut is 1/4" thick leaving just 1" available for the dado set. I'd appreciate hearing from any Unisaw users actually using this dado set whether they can cut a 3/4" dado. Thanks, Ray

As far as I know, even using the newer math, 1" is still shorter than 1-3/32". I would stick with the recommendation of Freud and say that you can't safely use this set to cut a 3/4" dado on your saw.

My Unisaw is 2005 x5 but still has a 1 1/4” arbor. I use it to cut 3/4+ all the time. There is not any arbor out past the nut but it works fine. At least 2 threads on the arbor. There’s a recess in the middle that allows the nut to sit inside the “dial.”

AAD297CC-6209-49BD-8DFF-72CF1F3F7130.jpg

Dan

My Unisaw is a mid 1980's and I use a SD608 on it with no problem. Like Dan said, "There’s a recess in the middle that allows the nut to sit inside the “dial.”". I can't remember how many arbor threads were left, but I have had the full SD608 on the arbor a few years ago, and I'm not one who takes chances. The arbor nut was fully on the arbor with a few threads to spare. It has to be right or I won't use it.

Charley