Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on sliding table saw purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    The overarm guard is very nice to work with. I am sure Felder wanted at least $1000 more for theirs as well. My saw has separate scoring motors. It seems to me that heavier /beefier trunnions and separate scoring motors are two of the main differences between entry level sliders and more industrial machines. Depending on your intended use of the saw that may or may not make any difference to you.
    To be clear, the trunnion unit on any of these sliders is built differently and something like 10x the mass of a traditional cabinet saw. I doubt you'll see a trunnion wear out in your lifetime on a modern slider.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    My 2 month old SC4E has a digital scale. I believe it depends on the "package" that the vendor orders it.
    I'm very happy with my SC4E. I'll be ordering an overarm guard this week, probably aftermarket.
    Mine also came with the digital scale.

In 2004 I bought a new Altendorf F45 with DD Duplex and Palin acc., it's well built and has been a very dependable saw. At the time I considered buying a used Kolle , if I had my time back I would have went the used route. Kolle today are no longer produced had features no other saw had or has to this day. Look at the used market, you can get a used high end saw for the price of entry level machines.

Thanks, Brian. I won't be using the scoring blade all the time, and when I do it will be for a veneered panel or something like that and I'm sure the 5hp motor is going to have plenty of power to drive both blades. I mean, I cut stuff like this just fine with a 3hp cabinet saw...

Good to hear about the squaring fence. I don't imagine I'd remove the outrigger table, but the protruding fence might get in the way of shop traffic sometimes, so it will be handy if I can take it off and on without trouble.

My cabinet saw is used 95% of the time with just the riving knife. Then again, it has the insurance of the SawStop brake. TBH I'm a little anxious about moving back to a non-flesh-detecting saw so I'm interested in an effective guard!

Christopher, one nice thing about a slider is with a lot of the cutting, one's hands are never near the blade. There certainly still is risk, but using the wagon and all it's capabilities helps reduce the risk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

weeks ago someone told me about a friend of his in the kitchen bus, finally got a slider he always wanted, telling and showing it off. Said days later cut fingers off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    My 2 month old SC4E has a digital scale. I believe it depends on the "package" that the vendor orders it.
    I'm very happy with my SC4E. I'll be ordering an overarm guard this week, probably aftermarket.
    My 3-year-old SC4E did not come with a digital scale.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    My 3-year-old SC4E did not come with a digital scale.
    My SC4e is only 3 months old. When you look at the specs it appears to be an option. The one I bought was already in production. Even with that the lead time was several months. I was told adding anything to it or an entirely different machine would add several more months.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    weeks ago someone told me about a friend of his in the kitchen bus, finally got a slider he always wanted, telling and showing it off. Said days later cut fingers off.
    Ahh...the irrefutable friend of a friend story.

If true, I would like to know how this happened.

True, didnt ask the shop name but its close to my area 10 minutes or bit more away. We had the family home sewers snaked three times and after two fails I asked would please bring a camera. As I was helping the now foreman they sent we talked a bit he asked what I did and then told me that.

To me i wonder how or what he did but didnt ask. easy enough to do I could send an email to the company and likely he would tell me, im not sure it would all feel good him going back to ask details on what he said. I only mentioned it as people say sliders are safter and im sure they are. I dont know if he had any training or what happened. I do have people I know who lost stuff on different machines and some friend of a friend that I have met several times that have lost fingers. Go work for the family bus when you had a different carreer before. I sort of see injuries two ways you had no training ever and you screwed up not knowing what is possible, Second people who make a living and are on there for tons of hours and get complacent and have deadline and other pressures 10 times the hobby day job thing. Realize that is too simplistic but lines up to the injured ones I know. Pressure not a ton of fun but usually part of it.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-22-2021 at 1:02 PM.

I got a SC4E summer of 2019 at the AWFS show through Sam Blasco. It was delivered in around six weeks or so. It came with the digital angle indicator. I love the saw.

I have a 10 ft slider and have looked at both the Cantek and SC4 E. I was impressed with the quality of the Cantek and nothing wrong with the Mini max. What would sway me was the difference in weight. The Cantek comes in at 1760 lbs and the SC 4 E at 1390 lbs. I always swayed towards mass when it comes to stationary tools.

Good luck with your journey

Brian

Brian, that Cantelk seems to be more the weight of my S315WS. The SC4e is a little lighter but is still very robust.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...