Thread: What are your thoughts on Griz low-end lathe?

What are your thoughts on Griz low-end lathe?

I have an "occasional" need to make round things, as well as a very very very very large pile of exotic scrap that I see has an army of salt and pepper shakers in it. I've never really been into the turning side of things, but if I had a cheap, but mostly reliable/solid lathe, I'd probably enjoy it. To be clear, a lathe is a want, not a need, and I'm pretty rigid in not spending a lot of $ on "wants", which allow me to meet my "need$$$". Griz has a bunch of stuff in the 3-600$ range that I feel is in my budget....are any of those enough to do the infrequent chair spindles and draw bore dowels and a month worth of salt and paper shakers? One thing that holds me back is the cost of chisels and blades and keeping them sharp....I've reached the point where I've stood for hours on end staring at my cut off/scrap pile with my hands on my hip "If only I had a damned lathe...."....

You don't state where you are located.

I would search for a local Wood Turning club. Almost every month, someone in my local club/area is selling a used lathe. These are usually priced in the 30-40% range of what they cost new. You may also find the situation where a bunch of chisels and other accessories are thrown in with it.

Even if you buy a cheap lathe, expect to budget $200-$300 for a chuck and a few base chisels. If you go with carbide tools, you can avoid the sharpening, with HHS tools, you'll need some kind of sharpening method and that can get expensive as well.

Yeah. It's pretty hard to get a descent lathe system and the tools you need to make it work for less than ~$800. A used lathe is a good suggestion, if you can find one that meets your needs for a reasonable price. My experience has been the savings just isn't always there, unless it's an "unwanted" model. If bundled with a lot of tools and accessories you can do alright, though.

The other issue for you is you say you want to do chair spindles. Even legs will push the standard table limits of midi's. Most are around 20" or lest between centers. They do have extensions, but that is more $$. As far as Griz goes, I think the newer models are probably OK. But at those price points, I'd probably opt for a Rikon. I would not go smaller than 3/4 HP. Also be careful of used lathes where you cannot get parts for them.

If I were trying to fill the need you described and no more, I'd probably get the Rikon 70-150VSR. If you plan to need more than 16" between centers (chair things), get the 13 1/2" extension. That'll cost about $700. Then get a 3 piece set of mid-size carbide. That will cost ~$200. So the minimum cost of entry is about $900 here. And for just a few dollars more you can get the 70-220VSR, which is a better buy IMHO (but extension is more costly).

Unless you already own a sharpening grinder, that will be another expense, unless you stay strictly to carbide tools.

Don't know that you need a chuck. They are really nice and convenient, but there are other ways to hold your work. For salt/pepper grinders you'll need a drill chuck and forstner bits.

If you really don't want to spend much $$, may as well get the bigger HF models. Many are satisfied with them. These can also be found pretty cheaply used. I've seen long beds in good shape going for a little as $100. IMO, there's not much benefit from the lathes between $300 HF and the $700 Rikon.

Tom, I hope your wrong about that Rikon not being much better than a $300 HF model. I went with the Rikon 70-220 but almost went with the 70-150 and the two are not that much different. I think it's a lot better than the HF options for a lot of reasons. For me, variable speed with low end being 250 was a big factor, reversible motor and being new I wanted the digital read out on speed. I was also under the impression that the build and brand was probably better.

That said though I plan on using the lathe in my business and had to beat it up a lot more than the OP needs to and just grabbing an HF and set of carbides might be a fine way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen White View Post
    Tom, I hope your wrong about that Rikon not being much better than a $300 HF model. I went with the Rikon 70-220 but almost went with the 70-150 and the two are not that much different. I think it's a lot better than the HF options for a lot of reasons. For me, variable speed with low end being 250 was a big factor, reversible motor and being new I wanted the digital read out on speed. I was also under the impression that the build and brand was probably better.

That said though I plan on using the lathe in my business and had to beat it up a lot more than the OP needs to and just grabbing an HF and set of carbides might be a fine way to go.
    The Rikons (and others at the near $700+ price point) is where there is a difference. You made the right choice in support of a business. It might be too much for this OP, where the HF might be good enough, especially as used because they can be had for so little money and seem to be more plentiful on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Yeah. It's pretty hard to get a descent lathe system and the tools you need to make it work for less than ~$800. A used lathe is a good suggestion, if you can find one that meets your needs for a reasonable price. My experience has been the savings just isn't always there, unless it's an "unwanted" model. If bundled with a lot of tools and accessories you can do alright, though.

The other issue for you is you say you want to do chair spindles. Even legs will push the standard table limits of midi's. Most are around 20" or lest between centers. They do have extensions, but that is more $$. As far as Griz goes, I think the newer models are probably OK. But at those price points, I'd probably opt for a Rikon. I would not go smaller than 3/4 HP. Also be careful of used lathes where you cannot get parts for them.

If I were trying to fill the need you described and no more, I'd probably get the Rikon 70-150VSR. If you plan to need more than 16" between centers (chair things), get the 13 1/2" extension. That'll cost about $700. Then get a 3 piece set of mid-size carbide. That will cost ~$200. So the minimum cost of entry is about $900 here. And for just a few dollars more you can get the 70-220VSR, which is a better buy IMHO (but extension is more costly).

Unless you already own a sharpening grinder, that will be another expense, unless you stay strictly to carbide tools.

Don't know that you need a chuck. They are really nice and convenient, but there are other ways to hold your work. For salt/pepper grinders you'll need a drill chuck and forstner bits.

If you really don't want to spend much $$, may as well get the bigger HF models. Many are satisfied with them. These can also be found pretty cheaply used. I've seen long beds in good shape going for a little as $100. IMO, there's not much benefit from the lathes between $300 HF and the $700 Rikon.
    With Rikon you get customer support, parts availability, and a 5 year warranty. All three of those make it much better than Harbor Freight.