Thread: Inset door hinges

Inset door hinges

Looking for a bit of help building the buffet pictured below.

I've never built anything where the legs stand proud of the cabinet doors, does anyone know of a hinge that would provide more then 90 degree access? They'll be set back about 3/8"

buffet.jpg

I think offset knife hinges would be one way to do it, but when I recently built a cabinet with inset doors I used a different approach. I added a 1/4" strip of wood along the inside of the leg and mounted butt hinges to them. That moves the pivot point inboard and gives the door enough clearance to open well beyond 90 degrees. Of course, the more you inset the door the wider that strip needs to be to provide clearance. A few months later I was reading through a FWW issue and Mike Pekovitch used the exact same approach. An added benefit of using this filler strip is that you can steer how the door closes by shifting the strip as you mount it.

John

You can use ordinary knuckle hinges. You just need to put the knuckles to the front of your posts.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 02-18-2021 at 10:23 PM.

For a concealed European hinge application, check out hinges with a minimum 165 or more degree opening designed for an inset application. You also can use use an overlay hinge with a 19mm plate. It's been a while, but when I use to do custom medicine cabinets with a frameless mirror set flush into a wall surrounded by mirror, that's what I used to use and as I recall when the door opened, it would immediately pull away from the cabinet as well as the adjacent mirrored wall.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I added a 1/4" strip of wood along the inside of the leg and mounted butt hinges to them. That moves the pivot point inboard and gives the door enough clearance to open well beyond 90 degrees.
    I did the same thing with this server. The doors open 180 degrees.

B9C3C4EE-6159-406D-8983-7130F3DC1968.jpeg

Not if you want the door to be inset.

Thanks folks, it gives me a couple solutions I can work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Not if you want the door to be inset.
    I assume you are referring to my suggestion for using European concealed hinges with a 165 or greater degree opening capability. Well I use to do it all the time. Back then I think we used Mepla hinges because they pulled the door farther away from the opening when opening the door. I happened to be at my supplier this morning and checked their Blum 165 degree hinge display and it would appear that this would also work.

do a mock up of the hinge and plate. Twice detailed drawings sent to two top companies and both told me part numbers that did not work. Not like most of them have made beaded stuff with a better thickness door and tried it themselves.

You have to decide on hinges and if the look ads to what you build. John built a nice cabinet there with care and if I opened that up and saw ero hinges it would devalue that cabinet to me. Just take away from all the care that went into something with commercial level hardware.

Is there a good quality butt or flush hinge y’all like to use that has some adjustability?
    Bob C

adjustability at times is also a weakness. I have a History of adjusting doors in peoples kitchens that ive just met for the first time.

Swiss army knife to the rescue, then I hear please bring him by anytime. Be ideal if the swiss army knife guys put a posi drive tip for the phillips