Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your favorite bench top material?

Another vote for a masonite top. I've used 3M Super 77 or Super 90 spray adhesive to keep the hardboard in place without using screws or nails. That way no risk of damage to cutting edges. A few dabs or thin beads of silicone adhesive would probably be equally effective. That way it could be peeled off in a decade or so when it was worn out or beat up enough to replace.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Decades ago I came across a large exterior MDF door. New. I set a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the door, cut to match. This is kept covered in white paper, taped down neatly with wide blue painter's tape. The advantages of a 2" thick, carefully thought out assembly table are many. 1) doesn't deflect in use, 2) perfect for clamping 3) will accept screw-down and nail-down fixtures like cleats. The screw holes are easily repaired and nail holes don't need repair 4) Can draw plans on paper for direct assembly. 5) possesses many of the features of my 4" thick woodworking bench for pounding on or holding an awkward board for other operations.

3. Has anyone used some sort of plastic or solid surface countertop material?

I agree with phenolic as some have suggested. It is waterproof and holds up great. Stuff slides easily and it cleans well. Very scratch resistant.

If you contact a kitchen installer and can wait a few weeks they can provide torn out countertops really cheap.