Thread: Micro Adjustment of Table Saw Fence in increments as small as 0.001 inch

Micro Adjustment of Table Saw Fence in increments as small as 0.001 inch

Moving a table saw fence by very small amounts can be hit and miss.
    With a dial indicator at the right location on the fence, I found it is easy to tap the fence and move it by 0.001 inch at a time.

Locate the probe of dial indicator over the fence rail so that dial indicator does not change when the fence is tightened - see red circle in photo below.

Video Demonstration:
    https://youtu.be/MZu0JvW1g3k

A couple of times I have found this fine adjustment helpful:
    1. Cutting UHMW runners to fit nicely in the miter slot for floats
    2. Cutting mortise and tenon joints on table saw, to get a good fit.

For all other work I just use the measuring tape built into the fence rail. The table saw cut usually gets run over the jointer anyway.

ICS Micro Adjustment of Fence Red Circle.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Woodward; 02-18-2021 at 5:51 PM.

Another option is to temporarily clamp a stop block against the far side of the fence and insert a shim (or feeler gauge) of desired movement. If you need to move the fence away from the blade, insert the shim before clamping the stop block and then remove it and move the fence.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Steven, that’s another nice TS addition. I made one a few years ago that slides on the fence tube with 5 neodymium magnets. I use it far more than I thought I would.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Good idea. One of the woodworking rags ( WOOD, issue 272, page 23) recently featured a readers tip using a bolt to adjust fence. Not wanting to buy a couple mag switches, I use my DI, mounted to a piece of wood fastened in left miter slot. It has slots cut into it to allow for adjustment to fence. You could use DI magnetic base, with DI mounted horizontally.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-19-2021 at 1:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Another option is to temporarily clamp a stop block against the far side of the fence and insert a shim (or feeler gauge) of desired movement. If you need to move the fence away from the blade, insert the shim before clamping the stop block and then remove it and move the fence.
    Yeah, William Ng does this method.

Another one is just a bolt head. The Dubby sled uses that. Here's a picture, it's easy enough to adapt with inexpensive parts:

dubby03.jpg