Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 1/4'' id machined washer for laguna 1836 headstock

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I know a lot of people use the plastic washers, but not me. Find a steel machined washer. My experience is the plastic washers will compress differently causing some misalignment. It is not much, but those washers are unnecessary. It is also a belief that the plastic washers prevent a chuck from getting stuck. Never “snap” spin a chuck or faceplate on. Keep the threads lubricated and turn it by hand until it makes contact and then use the removal tool to snug it up. I have never had a problem or a chuck get stuck using this method. You can also search spacer instead of washer.
    Same here. Years ago I heard about these washers and got one. Found out they made the precision sloppy and got rid of it. I've heard a number of pro turners say don't use them. Chris Ramsey (cowboy hat turner) even took a brush and cleaned off the threads and seat of the lathe and chuck for the best precision. I use a wrench to remove a chuck.

I both agree and disagree with the "never snap spin" to fasten a chuck. I do that every time (just the bare chuck, never with a piece mounted). I think the trick for success is developing the mystical calibrated wrist motion. Not enough and the chuck might not stay on. Too much and you weld the chuck to the lathe. I flick about 1/8 turn with a more or less gentle flick. I've never had trouble removing a chuck with the wrench and never had one unwind. I don't know how to define "more or less gentle" and I have no idea how to teach this to someone, especially to the Hulk's little brother.

But as for machining a custom washer it doesn't seem like it would be too much work. Joe Pieczynski does this to make some washers from some extremely thin stock in one of his excellent videos (my favorite youtube machinist!) He uses the tailstock to clamp the stack tight.

JKJ

John, done right you could spin the chuck as you described. If it works then that is all that matters. Many including myself have the tendency to “wind” up and spin. The other John Jordan taught me to do it the way I described and has worked for me.