Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 1/4'' id machined washer for laguna 1836 headstock

1 1/4'' id machined washer for laguna 1836 headstock

does anyone know where to buy one---tks,joe

No idea of minimum order requirements, but this might be a source - https://www.ampg.com/wp-content/uplo...ers-CatPgs.pdf

Left click my name for homepage link.

What is the OD & thickness?
    Have you contacted Laguna?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Od —2”—- thickness—1/8 to 3/16”

I start by making one from hard maple, osage, or black locust and see how that works.

Would this work? https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...0lathe%20chuck

I've had one on my lathe since about 2003. It has worked well for me.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Joe Zarnitz, are you looking for something to allow you to space your chuck out a bit from the headstock? Or looking for washer to help keep your chuck from getting stuck?

Brice asked the same question I was going to ask, why do you want or need the washer. I had some of the hard plastic washers from Craft Supplies, and eventually lost them, and never bothered to replace them.

robo hippy

As said by David, I use one from CraftSuppliesUSA to prevent my chuck from getting stuck on the headstock. I ordered several and have all in a drawer except the 1 I use.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

the talon and nova chucks only seat on a small lip not all the way up leaving a 1/8'' space----where as the faceplate from laguna screws all the way up tight---the opening lip is smaller allowing it to go all the way up---

Joe, I assume you use a direct threaded Nova? My five Novas all have inserts and seat just fine. That doesn’t help your problem, but might explain why it is happening.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-19-2021 at 2:24 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I cut my own from a plastic milk jug. These have worked for me for 20 years!!!

I know a lot of people use the plastic washers, but not me. Find a steel machined washer. My experience is the plastic washers will compress differently causing some misalignment. It is not much, but those washers are unnecessary. It is also a belief that the plastic washers prevent a chuck from getting stuck. Never “snap” spin a chuck or faceplate on. Keep the threads lubricated and turn it by hand until it makes contact and then use the removal tool to snug it up. I have never had a problem or a chuck get stuck using this method. You can also search spacer instead of washer.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

You might try a community college or high school that has a machine shop. I needed a 5/8 thick one for my Baldor grinder to move the wheel far enough so the nut would seat. It wasn't too expensive.

robo hippy