Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something here?

I was going through the local classified website when i stumbled across this. Advertised as maple base with pine top.
    Screenshot_20210218-124141.jpg

I know old benches and vices are not cheap, but i thought this was awfully high. Is there something special with the vices or bench that im missing? Or is this just a case of somebody googling old workbenches and setting the price based on asking prices.

I mean, i could build a very, very nice hardwood bench with nice twin screw vises for less than this. Granted it wouldn't have the historical pedigree, but it would be a very nice bench.

Now that is funny.

Sjobergs Elite 2500C Workbench Combo with SMO4 and Elite Accessory Kit is about $3K. No leg vise though.

That feels like an insane price unless it is verified used by (insert name of very famous person here).

Blog Entries
    Looking closely that does not appear to be a woodworking bench.

A woodworking bench would have the top of the vise in line with the top of the bench.

It also looks as if there might have been a provision for mounting plates at the top of the vise for metal jaws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

People can just be crazy. I was just looking at a listing on craigslist of somebody selling an old carpenter chest. It had from what I could tell three wood planes a smoother jack and joiner. About five miscellaneous saws all missing some parts of the handle or bolts or something. And what appears to be five socket chisels with three of them mushrooms like hell. They were asking $950 and everything was ultra rare. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    People can just be crazy. I was just looking at a listing on craigslist of somebody selling an old carpenter chest. It had from what I could tell three wood planes a smoother jack and joiner. About five miscellaneous saws all missing some parts of the handle or bolts or something. And what appears to be five socket chisels with three of them mushrooms like hell. They were asking $950 and everything was ultra rare. Lol
    Ahhh. The ultra rare listing. I am always hesitant of buying something that has the word rare in the description, because I always associate the word rare with someone selling something for more than what its worth.

On that note, is it just me, or did hand plane prices seem to go up recently too. I see wooden planes that have been rode hard and put away wet with price tags of $50-$75, and sometimes even more. I have seen metal planes that are rusty and missing pieces going for the same prices.

Blog Entries
    Prices may be affected by all the work at home people having more time for home projects.

It may also be that people think collecting antique tools is the new Beanie Babies craze.

Who knows why prices are going up? It just makes me glad to have bought most of my tools years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I think the vise is mainly for sharpening saws. Seen that type used for that several times in shops. Google up pics

I think that's aimed at people looking to use something like that as decorative art.

For a laugh...
    https://youtu.be/uVvcD4Czx4Y

I’m with Jim, not really a wood working bench, could be a pattern makers bench. For a while bed and breakfast places used these to serve breakfast on, some sort of fashion statement.
    Build your own bench!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Jim, I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the handle side jaw still has a metal plate attached. The plate is directly across from the spot on the rear jaw that appears to be drilled for a plate.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim, I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the handle side jaw still has a metal plate attached. The plate is directly across from the spot on the rear jaw that appears to be drilled for a plate.

Stew
    You may be right. Looking closer with sleepy eyes it looks like the back jaw could be metal.

Carvers also sometimes had elevated vises on their benches.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Ahhh. The ultra rare listing. I am always hesitant of buying something that has the word rare in the description, because I always associate the word rare with someone selling something for more than what its worth.

On that note, is it just me, or did hand plane prices seem to go up recently too. I see wooden planes that have been rode hard and put away wet with price tags of $50-$75, and sometimes even more. I have seen metal planes that are rusty and missing pieces going for the same prices.
    Yes it is insane. I've thought about messaging some of these people just to let them know they haven't found the holy grail, but I figure better just keep my mouth shut.

A lot of sellers I see will post a eBay listing of the same type of item and of course they pick the highest priced listing the can find. It's almost laughable.

Luckily I have a old tool antique shop down the road and the owner prices his stuff pretty reasonably. On some of the rarer items he gets his money's worth but on the common items it's almost garage sale pricing.

He sells hollows, rounds and molding planes for 10 each. One of these days I'll get enough courage to pick some up and learn to fettle them.

I have it on good authority that this bench was used to make George Washington's false teeth. If you look at the left front corner, you will see his imprint.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have it on good authority that this bench was used to make George Washington's false teeth. If you look at the left front corner, you will see his imprint.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    That's genuine Wisconsin gutter falcon traces.
    (It's an easy mistake to make.)

This timeless artifact came out of the rough and tumble world of full contact Mumblty Peg.

It's regulation size, for portability.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    LOL. Maybe, but I think it was used to make Ned Kelly's suit of armor.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.