Thread: Drawer Opening Slightly

Drawer Opening Slightly

Recently a kitchen drawer began opening on its own about 1/2". It just won't stay completely closed now, but did stay completely closed until about 2 - 3 weeks ago.

Some information -
    * I installed the slides as replacements for the originals (but they all worked perfectly for at least 2 years).
    * They are not self-closing slides.
    * The one drawer which opens spontaneously does have a pots and pans stored but the slides are 100 lb. slides.
    * The slide on the drawer is a full extension slide.

What are the most likely causes of and solutions to this problem? I'm obviously looking for a solution which doesn't involve replacing the slides, if possible.

You may have already done this but I would pull the drawer right out, check to make sure there is nothing behind the drawer pushing it out, the check that all the screws are tight and the drawer slides are level and maybe shift them so they are slightly sloped down at the back.

If you have face frames and the back of the runner has some type of brace I would look at that with a flash light and see if anything is going on there.

If they are side mounts, there is often a slight detent to hold them closed. But if the slide is mounted a little too far back (the cabinet mounted part) or too far forward (the drawer mounted part) the detent won't engage. Try disconnecting the slides from the drawer and actuate them by hand to see if the detent is present and working; you may just need to move the slide a little.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    You may have already done this but I would pull the drawer right out, check to make sure there is nothing behind the drawer pushing it out, the check that all the screws are tight and the drawer slides are level and maybe shift them so they are slightly sloped down at the back.
    This was my first thought. A tupperware lid or something fell back there. This happens all the time with my garbage can/recycling can pull out in the kitchen. Something falls down there and its not enough to stop it from closing but it does keep it from staying closed all the way.

Does this happen if the drawer is empty too? if not then your drawer might be at a slight angle and when loaded slides out. This happens all the time with my tool boxes in our garage (drawers open randomly on their own) since the floor has a slope (for the drain).

Suggestions given so far sound good. But, just a crazy thought, but being in Northern IL (i'm at the southern tip of Lake Michigan)--winter began in earnest about a month ago. Any chance your home is drier than it has been in the past few years?? Especially over the past few weeks while it's been very cold and really dry air. To the veterans--is there a chance this could contribute??
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Suggestions given so far sound good. But, just a crazy thought, but being in Northern IL (i'm at the southern tip of Lake Michigan)--winter began in earnest about a month ago. Any chance your home is drier than it has been in the past few years?? Especially over the past few weeks while it's been very cold and really dry air. To the veterans--is there a chance this could contribute??
    earl
    @Earl McLain
    Weird suggestion, but it appears to have stopped being a problem since the temp went up and, hence, the interior humidity went up also. i also live in Northern Illinois. I will check all of the other suggested solutions (already checked the slide mounting screws), but temporarily it's not a problem since yesterday. I don't understand why really low humidity would cause or contribute to the problem; also why it has not happened since the slides were replaced until now.