Thread: To tap or to epoxy?

To tap or to epoxy?

Hi All - I am installing some cable lighting in a newly finished barn and it involves anchoring the cable in a nice old wood beam. The hardware for the system is a small threaded pipe/nipple that usually screws into a box. The total weight is probably no more than 20lbs.

So the woodworker in me would say, no problem just drill a hole and use some epoxy to anchor the pipe in the hole. However that also means it will be there forever and not sure about that epoxy strength.

The metal worker in me says, no problem just drill and tap the hole and screw the pipe in for a solid strong connection and if i ever need to remove it i can.

I've never tapped wood before and i've never used epoxy for metal to wood before (i use West Systems for my wood working).

Any suggestions on best path forward?

I tap wood all the time but not pipe thread -I mostly use 5/16-18 screws. I drill a 1/4" hole then chuck the tap in a var speed drill.

You could use smaller screws (machine or self tapping) to mount a pipe flange.

I second Bradley's suggestion to use a pipe flange. That way if you move or remove you only have a couple of smaller screw holes to patch (or not). Plus there will be no doubt it will be strong enough.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

ok thanks! So regular metal taps work for wood as well? its not really a "pipe" but more a 1/2" or so threaded rod that is hollow...

Hi Dave,

20# overhead - am assuming you will be using a safety line?

https://www.fullcompass.com/category...safety-cables/

Thanks and good health, Weogo

how about getting an escutcheon with the bar that is threaded for the tube, you could then screw the bar to the wood and use the escutcheon to cover the bar. no box required.

ok thanks! So regular metal taps work for wood as well? its not really a "pipe" but more a 1/2" or so threaded rod that is hollow...

Yep, metal taps are easier to use in wood than metal - no cutting oil needed ( I do put parrafin on the tap) and no backing up- actually works better in one steady motion.