Thread: Need help with broken a Vise Nut

Need help with broken a Vise Nut

I have a DESMOND STEPHAN SIMPLEX 31s vise that belonged to my wife's grandfather. Unfortunately the main nut (spindle) has broken.

I'm a woodworker and not sure it can be to fabricated or welded. As seen in the photo the nut was repaired before....looks like it was brazed with brass??

Vise_Part.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Definitely it was brazed before. It can be repaired by brazing again. That's the only option now because you can never get the braze completely cleaned from the base metal. If done correctly it should be a strong joint. I can't see the mating surfaces which would indicate the quality of the first repair. Check around for a welding shop that does mostly repair work and see if they can do it. Good luck.

It almost looks like there is a small piece missing? That is a very popular vintage vise, I wonder if there are repro replacement parts available?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Take it to a weld shop. This looks like cast iron and may not be. It may be cast steel which has the same look and should have been used in this application for the strength needed. Cast steel is easily welded.

Thanks for the responses. I sent the nut off to be TIG Brazed. I'm a woodworker but used the for light duty and will be glad to have it back in service.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.