Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more denatured alcohol in California?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

No more denatured alcohol in California?

My go to finish is shellac. I prefer to make my own fresh by dissolving flakes in denatured alcohol. Went to the hardware store to buy some more denatured alcohol for fresh batch of shellac and was very dismayed to learn that apparently there is some kind of regulation that now prevents the sale of denatured alcohol in California. I don't know all the details, but I checked Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin-Williams and Dunn Edwards paints and even REI camping store. No joy!

I have no idea what the rationale is this regulation, and frankly doesn't matter. I'm screwed. Any suggestions for some alternative solvent or how I might be able to get denatured alcohol? Do you think I could buy it online and have it shipped in? I went to the Bev Mo – they have Everclear that is "120 proof, 40% alcohol", do you think that would work?

I very much appreciate any and all suggestions!

All the best, Mike

It will not work . Way too much water.

It is used as a clean burning fuel in some stoves, especially in outdoor burners and on boats, I have one. Check marine stores and fuel suppliers. It would indeed be strange if they are telling people you can no longer cook on your stove!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I also ran in to the ban on alcohol. However, I recently purchased some a can labeled "Clean Burning Fuel" which was also labeled denatured alcohol. It might available. It was referred to simply as "Fuel'.

Might depend upon which Everclear is used, seems it's bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95% alcohol by volume (120, 151, 189, and 190 U.S. proof respectively)

Mike look in your area for a professional paint store.
    The one out near me still carry’s the good stuff even in 5 gal cans.
    Aj

I use 190 proof Everclear as well with good results. Maybe you can find that in a higher proof?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    Might depend upon which Everclear is used, seems it's bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95% alcohol by volume (120, 151, 189, and 190 U.S. proof respectively)
    the 95 % works well . But just leaving the top off for a an hour or two on a humid day will ruin it. The lower proof only desolves.....
    hopes....and dreams.

I just went through this last year. Denatured is mostly gone and then not over 70% alcohol. Can't even buy Everclear at a useful proof. There appears to be no other solvent.

My crystal ball sees a trip to AZ or NV in your future.

Not sure how close you are to a neighboring state, but a road trip may be in order. Some woodworking suppliers will not ship certain products to the wonderful state of California, so shipping is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Not sure how close you are to a neighboring state, but a road trip may be in order. Some woodworking suppliers will not ship certain products to the wonderful state of California, so shipping is out of the question.
    Unfortunately California isn't a small place. We look long and skinny, but I'm 4-6 hours from Nevada in the skinny direction. (Long direction is probably 16+ hours end-to-end on the Interstate. For Mike I was thinking Arizona, but I'm not sure about direct routes & border cities. I'd forgotten about Tijuana, but I suspect the border checks are much tighter in that direction.

PS- I was collecting notes intending to solve this, but it got so complicated I just grabbed another can of Seal Coat & decanted it into mason jars (so it won't rot through the can and mess my work table again.)

Well, when you get the stuff, put the top on the bottle and the mixed shellac. Even if you just get a phone call. Many years ago I
    bought a bottle of the highest proof Everclear to dissolve shellac flakes . Had a room mate who drank a lot of beer, but if he ran out he would
    drink what was available. After I went to bed he opened my new bottle . When I woke up I saw he had left the top off. Mixed up a batch
    of flakes and alcohol...flakes did not dissolve. Things are bad when you have to drink the spoiled alcohol ....while flakes get the good stuff.

I've used 190 proof Everclear. Excellent results, definetly a cleaner shellac with noticeable fastrer dry times. Problem was the price -20 bucks a fifth, could be cheaper in other states.

gotta tell you Mike- really enjoy your build threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Nope. Not the California liquor store stuff. Not a clean air reg, but public health / prop up the wine industry reg, limits the max proof for drinking to 151 (75%) alcohol. (BTW- Mike the 120 proof 40% stuff you were told about just isn't right. 100 proof is 50% alcohol, the conversion factor is 2. "Pure" alcohol absorbs water from the air and is limited to 191 proof, ~95%, without being heroic and is what you really want.)

I'm told Behlem / Mohawk Shellac Reducer is allowed and available and is a good version of what used to be label denatured alcohol. Best stuff is probably 190 proof grain alcohol, rumor is you can get it in Arizona, if you're up for a little boot-legging, and there have been a couple reports of successfully mail ordering it. It's also been reported that alcohol fuel, as used in table top fire pits, can be had with bitterants (sp?) instead of methanol, and will work well. (Sorry, I haven't tried any of these. I've just noted them for "someday".)