Thread: Leg vice screw updated

Leg vice screw updated

I had posted about this device a while back. I originally had a foot pedal on it but wasn’t happy with it. I changed it to lever operated and after a few months I’m very happy. Reach down a little pull up adjust the vise reach down push about an inch or so tighten the vise. I made it all with hand tools so anyone could make one. Some flat bar a few screws a piece of all thread hacksaw, drill, and a tap. A readily available and inexpensive vise screw was the only purchase. I do have machine tools available and could fabricate a fancier one but not everyone has that option. It works on the simple idea of a half nut.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. Now to up the game have the same lever open a split nut on the main screw and you will have a rapid adjust vise.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Jim. I have thought about that. The timing between the screws will take some thought. It would be fairly easy to make it work like a twin screw but getting an adjustable lead would be tricky. I’m sure you’re aware of that with your product.
    Jim

Actually the original patent from the 1880’s for the chain (yes even then they didn’t like bending down I guess) had a split nut with a lever very much like you built creating a quick release always parallel leg vise. I’ve paired it up with Hovarters leg vise mechanism (it’s not a screw) and it is awesome.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Jim your chain and a Hovarters would be a great combination. I do like the ability to give the vise jaw a little lead at times to trim veneer and such. Can you do that with the Hovarters and the chain?
    Jim

Yes, very easy to dial in just the right amount of toe in on the jaws, just a turn on the nut at the end of the chain.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service