Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No more denatured alcohol in California?

I bought a gallon of 190 proof denatured alcohol from Alliance Chemical - alliancechemical.com

Ethyl Alcohol Denatured 190 Proof - One Gallon - in (4) 32 FL Oz Bottles. $36 and free shipping
    Ordered first thing in the morning. Received notice of shipping via UPS two hours later.
    I like the smaller bottles since I don't expect to use a gallon for quite a while.
    Best deal I could find anywhere and so far the service has been outsanding.

2. You can get Mohawk Finishes "Shellac Reducer" which says on the can that it is a denatured alcohol "blend". The SDS states that the "reducer" is a blend of ethanol, butanol, and propanol. I picked up a quart at Woodcraft in Rancho Cordova yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dougherty View Post
    You can get Mohawk Finishes "Shellac Reducer" which says on the can that it is a denatured alcohol "blend". The SDS states that the "reducer" is a blend of ethanol, butanol, and propanol. I picked up a quart at Woodcraft in Rancho Cordova yesterday.
    John,thanks. I tried a “reducer “ ,long time ago, It would not dissolve the flakes. But I’m not saying that none of them will work. I do
    think that “reducer” might just mean “thinner”. Don’t know why there would be two types,but it’s possible that some places just allow sale
    if the reducer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    John,thanks. I tried a “reducer “ ,long time ago, It would not dissolve the flakes. But I’m not saying that none of them will work. I do
    think that “reducer” might just mean “thinner”. Don’t know why there would be two types,but it’s possible that some places just allow sale
    if the reducer.
    Mohawk shellac reducer is ethanol — denatured alcohol.

it is *exactly* what you want to make shellac from flakes.

it is readily available in California in stores or order online and have it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    Mohawk shellac reducer is ethanol — denatured alcohol.

it is *exactly* what you want to make shellac from flakes.

it is readily available in California in stores or order online and have it shipped.
    Yep, here's the MSDS for the product:

https://mohawk-finishing.com/mhk_cds.../M650-0056.pdf

You should use Everclear 190. And you should abandon using denatured alcohol even if you can find it; it’s far too variable in content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    You should use Everclear 190. And you should abandon using denatured alcohol even if you can find it; it’s far too variable in content.
    Everclear 190 is not available in CA

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Everclear 190 is not available in CA
    And, I'm told, some other states.

For me, this is more a health & safety of denaturants in cheap DNA than a what the retailers did in response to a new Air Resources Board rule issue. The various pure Ethanol solutions, the various mixes of stove fuel and other DNA, and so on are very interesting to me.

This:

Quote Originally Posted by John Dougherty View Post
    You can get Mohawk Finishes "Shellac Reducer" which says on the can that it is a denatured alcohol "blend". The SDS states that the "reducer" is a blend of ethanol, butanol, and propanol. I picked up a quart at Woodcraft in Rancho Cordova yesterday.
    is too since it doesn't have Methanol, (what my parents & grandparents call wood alcohol,) and doesn't have excise tax is especially interesting. And this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    ... I went to: shellacfinishes.biz, which is based here in San Diego, and was able to get a gallon of 200 proof denatured alcohol for $54 ....
    since, despite the excise tax (I assume), it isn't that expensive and is pure Ethanol.

I need to do some experimentation

I had the same problem. I ordered denatured alcohol from Amazon, to ship to California and had no problem. I use it for mixing with shellac flakes. This was about 6 months ago.

When I went to eBay, I saw Denatured Alcohol "FUEL". It is readily available. Somewhat expensive - - about $30 a gallon. If you buy a 5 gallon drum, it is a bit less expensive. You can also buy reagent grade ethanol but it too is pricey.

I too live in Ca. You might consider a road trip to Yuma Az. or Phoenix. Or TJ to get some 190 proof everclear.

Another alternative might be to buy pure isopropyl alcohol. It is also pricey.

Try googling "salting alcohol to purify". Apparently the water in the alcohol will dissolve the salt and you'll end up with two layers of liquid. The top is purer alcohol and the bottom is salt water.

I’ll be vaccinated and ready to make a run to Reno probably by the end of March. If you can find what you are looking for over there I will pick it up. I’m in Nevada City and once vac, will be traveling to Petaluma. No timetable set, so let me know if I can help out.

I bought Mohawk Shellac Reducer at TH&H (The Hardwood & Hardware Store) in San Diego last summer. I think that they are related to Austin Hardwoods in Orange County.
    I see that shellac.net in Napa also carries Mohawk Shellac Reducer. As someone said above, Mohawk Shellac Reducer is almost pure ethanol. I have heard that isopropyl alcohol works well and is readily available.
    I spent some time last summer researching the regulations set by the California Air Resources Board. As I recall, CARB says that ethanol degrades the atmosphere in some areas, near chemical plants and, I think, bakeries and breweries. Therefore they require people who emit ethanol to document how they will limit emissions. I wish that the regulations made some allowance for people who mix their own shellac.

Shellac is also my go to finish. I use Everclear to handmix small batches, from flakes, as needed. It produces great results.

I actually prefer it to d.alcohol because it's more natural.

Blog Entries
    Based on a great tip from Patrick M. I was able to access 200 proof denatured alcohol from a local Internet supplier here in San Diego. I tried to post a couple times to share the info but haven't been successful – not sure why. Am I not allowed to post a link or email address? shellacfinishes

Nevermind my bad. Saw my previous post was carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Let us know if you get it and if it works okay for your. I will need to order some alcohol soon.
    Mike, it arrived. Says it's 190 proof, haven't opened a bottle of it yet tho to confirm it's not just water.

It did come as four quart bottles instead of a single gallon, but that's fine by me.