Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No more denatured alcohol in California?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Butler View Post
    I'm also in CA and learned about the law change a few months ago. Just about out so I placed an order for a gallon of DNA from Amazon, looks to be appropriate for shellac, and no indication they won't ship it to me yet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XSLD2XF
    Let us know if you get it and if it works okay for your. I will need to order some alcohol soon.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Of course, IF you happen to know a Farmer with a corn crib or two.....see if he still has a jug in the underside....sitting under all that corn....

Not called "Corn Squizzens" for nothing....

The good news is that you can still buy shellac reducer in California

The bad news is it is very expensive ($18/qt).

Fortunately I don’t use much so a quart lasts a long time...

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...kaAqlnEALw_wcB

https://www.rockler.com/mohawk-shell...QaAuMnEALw_wcB

The Behlin product sold as shellac reducer is a very good quality product, as denatured alcohol goes. However, if you get the chance to buy 190 proof Everclear while visiting a state that sells it, I can highly recommend using that instead of any denatured alcohol. It is just a joy to work with as a shellac solvent. No bad smell, no headaches, no poisoning concern. I can’t buy it here in West Virginia, but they sell it in neighboring Kentucky, where I have family and often visit. I only use denatured alcohol now if it comes in something already made up for me.

Has anyone thought to try moonshine, it comes in 190 mile an hour form, if you get it from a good maker.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Canadian Tire carries methyl hydrate 99% for about $6 for 947 ml. I've used it and it works fine for shellac.

I'm in Cali and used to use DA for cleaning up fresh uncured polyurethane glue. What else can I use?
    WoodsShop

This might work but haven't tried it with shellac, pretty pricey though
    https://www.amazon.com/Extractohol-O.../dp/B01APQLE3A

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I just went through a similar search last week. After some searching, I bought a product designed for liquid fuel fireplaces. It is 92% ethanol and 8% isopropyl according to the website. The brand I bought was e-nrg. I got mine at Canadian Tire for any Canucks who are wondering. It had no particular odour and the shellac dissolved reasonably quickly and dried to a hard finish that sanded to a white powder. I had planned to use methyl hydrate which is cheaper and widely available in Canada but some research indicated it had some rather serious health hazards.
    This is good to know. Noted the brand.

Bunch of months back I ran into same problem. Methyl alcohol is easy to find but I am always worried about it's fumes.

Back then I ended up buying from ardec.ca. They carry denatured alcohol (and shellac) though a bit costly.

You can also get ethyl alcohol from lab suppliers. Few big names come in Google search but they cost 4x so never ordered personally.

Hi Anuj,
    I’m not familiar with Ardec. Thanks for the link; I’ll check them out. I have used methyl hydrate in the past and it worked fine but I have since read about some of the potential health hazards and decided to find an alternative. I find that I’ve become much more aware of safety issues over the years and am trying to minimize needless exposure to nasty stuff when I can. I’m more comfortable with and used to the effects of ethanol...
    The e-nrg product I used was several times more expensive than methyl hydrate but I expect it will last me for years. It seemed to work very well.
    Best regards,
    David

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions!

On the suggestion of highly esteemed, California Central Coast barrister Patrick M., I went to: shellacfinishes.biz, which is based here in San Diego, and was able to get a gallon of 200 proof denatured alcohol for $54 along with what are purported to be a "fresh from India" super blonde shellac flakes. They also offered a proprietary product "Royal Lac" which appears to combine the aesthetic benefits of shellac with the durability of synthetic finishes like polyurethane. I'll let you know how it works once it arrives.

Thanks Patrick – as always your advice was right on the money! Next time you're in town, remind me to tell the story of how as result of a misguided fraternity "prank" when I was in college I once appropriately spent the night in the Santa Barbara County Jail with 6 of my pledge brothers charged with "Grand Theft Pumpkin".:eek! As I recall, I knew it was a colossally bad idea at the time but didn't say anything and the punishment of many days shoveling horse sh*t in the farmers stables was well-deserved.

Powerful object lesson in the importance of not going along with something you know is wrong, just because "everyone else is doing it". BTW, my own Boys immediately rolled their eyes at the mention of this story because they heard it so many times growing up.

Cheers, Mike

Wish I had known about that outfit last year. Have them bookmarked now.

I also ran in to the ban on alcohol. However, I recently purchased some a can labeled "Clean Burning Fuel" which was also labeled denatured alcohol. It might available. It was referred to simply as "Fuel'.

Blog Entries
    Fellow Creeker Patrick M. suggested shellac finishes.biz. Was able to buy gallon of 190 proof denatured alcohol for ~50$ I posted full description yesterday but don’t see the post now. I’ll let you know how it works when it arrives.

Royal Lac is awesome stuff, and the owner, Vijay, is very helpful.