Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friendly reminder to clean out your dust collector's canister filter!

Friendly reminder to clean out your dust collector's canister filter!

dusty.jpg

" I wonder why my suction is so terrible"- me

homer.jpg

A wee bit 'o cake there...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good reminder, that’s why I put a tube type manometer on mine, no more guessing...Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Good reminder, that’s why I put a tube type manometer on mine, no more guessing...Rod
    Smart idea! I'm definitely going to be more mindful of it moving forward.

I put the manometer on my mine after my friend filled the filter and impeller housing...Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I put the manometer on my mine after my friend filled the filter and impeller housing...Rod
    What equipment did you use for this? Do you have any pics.

Great idea, would like to see how you folks installed your manometer.

You can make a simple water manometer graduated in inches of water, or you can buy a Dwyer Magnehelic gauge, 0-2"wg should be fine for DP across a filter. A 0-5"wg would probably work too, but I wouldn't go as high as 0-10"wg for filter DP. They are all the same price so get the gauge with the best range.

Timely thread for me. I have noticed over the last several days that our suction was way down on our Oneida 5hp collector. Discovered yesterday that the filter was full as high as my arm could reach up into it. This was at the end of the day. Will find out this afternoon just how full it is and that try to figure out why it happened.

There are several Magnahelic gauges on eBay for less than 30 bucks right now in the correct ranges. If you want to get fancy, you could source a photohelic and make some kind of light or buzzer go off when it’s time to clean👍
    Cheers
    Sean

Pulled the filter off its mount yesterday. It was 3/4 full, packed with chips and dust. Spent over an hour cleaning it out. All of the pleats top to bottom were packed. Clearly we are doing something wrong. Pictures of our setup will be sent to Oneida tomorrow for their thoughts.
    The situation has us plotting ways to vent outside....

Dan, a common cause for premature filter clogging is leaks at the dust bin. If any air can be pulled through the dust bin, it will act like a hose, and upward force will be generated. If it's completely sealed, then only will particles properly drop in and stay in the bin.

Thank you Prashun. The manual does indicate leak at bin could be the cause of clogging. It is a brand new system with a fresh gasket on the canister lid.
    We are going to cut a hole in the roof and vent outside. Cleaning the filter sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by sean meltvedt View Post
    There are several Magnahelic gauges on eBay for less than 30 bucks right now in the correct ranges. If you want to get fancy, you could source a photohelic and make some kind of light or buzzer go off when it’s time to clean
    Cheers
    Sean
    What is the correct range for this?

Has anybody ever burned up a motor because of clogged filters?