Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friendly reminder to clean out your dust collector's canister filter!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post

Has anybody ever burned up a motor because of clogged filters?
    The motor is working the least when there's no air flow through the impeller. Impaction of the filter reduces the load/heat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The motor is working the least when there's no air flow through the impeller. Impaction of the filter reduces the load/heat.
    Oh, Ok thanks, that's interesting. I was looking at it backwards. I was thinking that it had to work harder to try to pull the air through. Now that you mention it I remember people talking about worrying about burning out motors when exhausting outside.

Is a shop vac the opposite? I was also thinking they get burned out if there is not enough air flow.

If, when this happens to anyone, it's really important to take your time cleaning the canister to avoid damaging the paper filter.

Been there (not quite that bad but close), so go slow and be gentle. Those babies are expensive!

After you get the 'cake' off, a paint brush is your friend.

Jason, I would go for 0-4 inches/water as ideal, up to 0-8 inches. More than that puts you too far down on the bottom of the measurement range.
    Cheers
    Sean

Jason, some shop vacs use the airflow for cooling as well, these can be damaged by no airflow. Not to mention most have a very high rpm brushed universal motor instead of induction motor. Think router table vs shaper.
    Cheers
    Sean

Got it, thanks a lot Sean.

8E595136-B42B-47C6-8997-001957495C8A.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rasmussen View Post
    Great idea, would like to see how you folks installed your manometer.
    Hi Jay, here’s mine,

It connected to the fan exhaust elbow via a piece of 1/“ tubing, the other port on the manometer is open.

You can make a manometer with a piece of clear tubing in a U shape, filled with coloured water.Regards, Rod