Thread: Wixey is going backwards

Wixey is going backwards

The thickness indication on my Wixey height/thickness gauge on my planer is going in the wrong direction. It zeroes and calibrates fine, but after calibrating, raising the table causes the thickness indication to get larger (thicker). I'm pretty sure it was working fine before, but I don't use it a lot. Any ideas about what's going on?

Is there a +/- setting? I had the same issue on my other branded DRO after I recalibrated it, then realized I just needed to change the sign.

john

I had this same issue with the read out for my router. I had to take the sensor (the part that moves up and down on the sensor strip), and turn it end for end. This corrected the problem for the readout for my router.

edit: although if you're saying it worked fine before, then I'm not sure if it will help. Mine didn't read properly from the start until I changed it.
    wixey.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    The thickness indication on my Wixey height/thickness gauge on my planer is going in the wrong direction. It zeroes and calibrates fine, but after calibrating, raising the table causes the thickness indication to get larger (thicker). I'm pretty sure it was working fine before, but I don't use it a lot. Any ideas about what's going on?
    Make sure the display shows ABS when you zero the the setting and use the unit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks; I'll check it again later today.

I emailed Wixey yesterday and they got right back to me. Apparently the problem is this particular model Wixey is made for a portable planer which has a moving head and a fixed table; my Powermatic is just the opposite. The Wixey came off of a piece of equipment I bought for one job and no longer have, so I'm not really out anything and I may be able to devise an alternate mounting method that works, according to the Wixey folks. I also have a Wixey 550 (remote readout) on my widebelt and it works great. I'm pretty impressed with Wixey's customer support.

Dave, you could always ignore the negative sign🤪

Then flip the whole thing over 180 degrees and it should work fine.

John