Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Assembly Issue

SawStop Assembly Issue

So I am going to put this out there and see what ya'll think.
    Picked up my brand new SawStop last Saturday. Lots of boxes, shiny metal, etc. I was stoked!
    I'm not trying to start some big brouha or anything but did anybody else find the assembly process to be a gigantic pain in the rear? Like "serious thought to returning it" annoyance? Also, customer support over the phone was less than helpful. Is it just me or has somebody else run into this?
    "The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

5hp, ICS, 36" fence, mobile base in 2015. Removed top, motor to make it easier to get in basement. Put it back together by myself while off work recovering from both knees being replaced.
    Hardest thing was getting up and down the stairs.
    Called Customer Service before pulling the motor, very knowledgeable and friendly, emailed a easier way to r/r motor to me.
    Took my time and all went well
    Ron

Victor, to answer your question, no, followed the instructions and didn't try to get ahead, which is something I sometimes do and then find myself disassembling something I did prematurely.

Had very few, if any, questions about a procedure.

The only extra help, I needed, was asking my neighbor to help me lift it onto the mobile base.

Sorry it was frustrating for you Victor, that stinks and I have been there before a few times.....but not with my SawStop. I’m sure the models are all different but I have a PCS.

I have purchased, assembled, and adjusted my share of machines over the years. Out of all of them all the SawStop was probably best for fit and finish, instructions, easy of assembly / adjustment, and customer service. The instruction book was clear, well written with large color photos. All the parts packs were individually sealed and color coded to go with the directions. I have had to call customer service a couple of times and they were knowledgeable and easy to deal with.

Now that being said I have had my saw for about 6-7 years. Since then I read they may have been bought out and maybe things have changed? What are you having issues with, maybe somebody here could help?

Good luck, I love the saw!

My Sawstop is the only modern machine I own. Next newest is a 1980, and I go all the way back to about 1915, so my idea of a problematic machine involves a welding cracks in cast aluminum bandsaw wheels or having to make friends with a machine shop to get custom parts made because it didn't make sense to have the missing part cast at a foundry.

I have an ICS, and assembling it was incredibly straightforward. Everything was clear. There were photos of every step of the process, all the parts were actually included in the boxes, all the things went together without me having to get the tap and die set out, etc. etc. I'm sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience, but I found my assembly process to be fairly painless.

What parts of it caused you to reach out to customer service? And what were your expectations from this call that weren't met? I'm really curious, as I've had nothing but a positive experience with this company.

With my PCS, I thought the instructions were very good. Especially the how the parts were organized. Probably the best of any other machine I have purchased.

One thing, I found having a set of metric hex t-handle wrenches like these to be very helpful.

PCS
    3 HP Pro 1PH, 230V
    52" T-Glide
    ICS mobile base
    Overarm dust collection

The more I think on this the more I realize this is on me. And as an earlier poster pointed out, fit & finish are great, instructions are fairly clear and parts clearly labeled. I agree. I have no problem with the idea it was me having an off day. Even after all the aggravation I still believe I got the correct saw. One of my reasons for purchase was the great reputation SawStop has for quality of product and customer support. I still believe that's an accurate assessment.

I did not check out any un-boxing videos prior to delivery. My expectation of a saw and not a saw kit to assemble was not correct. Another incorrect expectation was that a one person assembly was realistic. One person might be realistic for some, maybe all, but for me it was not even remotely close. To each their own. I can't hit a golf ball like Tiger Woods either.

The call to customer support is on me. The part I had a question about was standing on end and I was looking down on it. The part I couldn't find was under the lip, not in my field of view. A real DUH moment. Again, on me. But customer service started with "You don't need that part". Also turns out he did not have the same manual I had. The manual I had came with the saw and is the same one on their web site. Really friendly guy, seemed like he was trying to help but 'don't need it' and not the same manual? I decided to quit while I was ahead and just figure it out on my own. Laid the part down for a 2nd look and like I said, a real DUH moment.

Guess I was just out of snyc or something. New jointer came in a big box and took about 30 minutes to set up after I got it uncrated and on the mobile base. The used bandsaw took less than an hour to clean, tweak and tune. New dust collector was a half day project but it came like the saw, a kit to be assembled, not just unboxed and set up.

So I'm still a SawStop fan, looking forward to actually using it but I'll never try to put one together by myself again.
    "The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I understand you didn't expect to spend the time to assemble it, but if you're moving it into a basement (like I was), it's a feature, not a flaw!
    Just a Duffer

Mine was the contractor saw + mobile base. There were a lot more pieces than I expected. I thought the big-print color diagrams were much better than any other tool I've had to assemble. But I still didn't enjoy it. Character building, however.

I do wish there was a SS forum somewhere, where people could ask about problems. I've had a couple of questions that were service related and eventually got answered, but also a couple that were more about just wanting to know what others had done.

I have disassembled/moved (into/out of) basement/shop at least twice and put it back together without a glitch. It takes time to do the adjustments at the end (it's a good chunk of a day to do the whole thing from scratch). In fact I found a few small errors in their manual (that was in 2009) that I e-mailed about and they thanked me (by sending me a new blade).

I assembled mine myself after bringing it home in my little HF trailer behind my convertible. I had watched youtube videos first. I still did not enjoy the process. The side tables are quite heavy and difficult to bolt in place by yourself. I DO NOT like the way they do the parts. Yes, they are organized and labeled but it takes way too much time to get to them in that stupid plastic and cardboard sheet. I just today put together a much less complicated set of garage cabinets, Husky steel with rhrino liner finish, and was much more impressed with the way they did their parts. It was clear plastic but snapped apart easily and the parts were still very organized. The SawStop instructions are certainly long enough but who wants to read twenty pages on how to tighten a bolt? I'm exagerating but I think the writers were paid by the page. But the pictures are good and it does the job. I keep mine with the saw because of the silly lights. I like my saw but there are still things I don't care for. I think the parts could be packaged far better and the manual could be half as long and loose no useful information at all.

I don't blame you a bit. But it's something you will not have to repeat and it's a good saw you will enjoy.

I assembled the 3hp PCS alone in my shop. The instructions were comprehensive so it was just the step by step slowly I turn on the directions. Fit-up on ev3rything was very good. It is a fine saw. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I assembled the 3hp PCS alone in my shop. The instructions were comprehensive so it was just the step by step slowly I turn on the directions. Fit-up on ev3rything was very good. It is a fine saw. Good luck with it.
    Same saw, same experience here. Other than the amount of extra cardboard and plastic headed to the landfill after assembly, I have nothing but praise for their instructions and organization.

A hoist and a scaffold helped to lift the saw. And another hoist was a perfect 3d hand to hold the too heavy for me to carry cast iron wings.

Screenshot_20210218-014709~2.jpgScreenshot_20210218-014819~2.jpgPXL_20210206_205943391.jpg
    Last edited by MARTA TORRES-QUINONES; 02-18-2021 at 5:11 AM. Reason: Technical issues with images.

Blog Entries
    Sorry that you had an off day on what should have been one of your better ones. Like others I found the instructions superior to most and the assembly trouble free. Hopefully things are better here on out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler