Thread: Shop air filtration

Shop air filtration

Shop is approx 40' x 40'. I have one Jet AFS-1000B air filter. Want to add a second one. Should I buy another Jet or are there better options?
    Thanks,
    Dan

I'd probably buy a matching unit...just because that would look right to me. But seriously, these things are pretty much similar regardless of the brand name on them. My old JDS 750 is about the same design as anything currently selling in the same size. Having two for your space will be a good thing because you can set up some nice airciculation that way. Not only will it help with getting some of the fines out of the air, but it will help with any HVAC you use to keep things even.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop is 2/3 of your square footage but an open beam ceiling that goes way up. I have an old JDS something or other (JDS is long gone). I added a Supermax Air Cleaner this year. The new unit is 3-speed and moves much more air. It is also noisier. One other difference is that the Supermax has a washable prefilter. The JDS uses a conventional furnace filter. I haven’t done any comparisons on how fast they will bring dust concentrations down. I watch my Dylos particulate counter mainly to see that the count is below 200. I turn the Supermax down when it gets there.

One thing I did not anticipate is the way the Supermax remote control works. I installed a switch by the door for outlets up high for the cleaners expecting to turn both on as I entered. Supermax foiled that plan. The default position for the remote when power is turned on is off. I have to pick up the remote to start the unit. The remote only works from a few feet away so I can’t put it on a hook by the door. Not a big deal. I may find a way to change the default.

Here’s a link.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/3...eaner-supermax

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    ...I watch my Dylos particulate counter mainly to see that the count is below 200. I turn the Supermax down when it gets there.
    What caused you to pick that number?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    What caused you to pick that number?
    The air quality index guide that came with the Dylos. Not very scientific. I have put the Dylos in several different environments just to see what increased the reading. Changing sheets in the bedroom will send it over 2000. Dusting furniture about 800. Early morning in the shop when I first walk in under 100. Walk around with a little dust on the floor in the shop 150. Run a board through the Performax sander 3000. The Honeywell filters at the house and the air cleaners at the shop get it down to 200 fairly quickly. To get it down more, I have to stop doing what is generating dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Shop is approx 40' x 40'. I have one Jet AFS-1000B air filter. Want to add a second one. Should I buy another Jet or are there better options?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Sorry I hijacked your thread with my Dylos question. Because of the similarity of all the different brands there's always been speculation that they're made by the same Asian manufacturer. Forum rules don't allow a direct link to Lumberjocks forum but topic 313365 is a good example. The thread links to this company, proposing it to be that source.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    The air quality index guide that came with the Dylos...
    Well, that certainly makes sense. I haven't seen that guide on their website. If you have time would you please post a photo of that. Thanks.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I have a Jet 1000B and a 2000. I would avoid the 2000. Too loud, very large, and frankly has flow rates not much different from the 1000.

It is amazing how effective two units are compared to one.

BTW, my ambient particle count on the Dylos, both in my present house, and my last one is around 500. I wait till it gets below that to take off my respirator.

Wow. 200 normally is very clean air. Good for you. Where is it that you live and have such clean air? I can get it below 50 with the Jet units on for a few hours. Have to work hard to get there.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

[QUOTE=Alan Lightstone;3100128

BTW, my ambient particle count on the Dylos, both in my present house, and my last one is around 500. I wait till it gets below that to take off my respirator.

Wow. 200 normally is very clean air. Good for you. Where is it that you live and have such clean air? I can get it below 50 with the Jet units on for a few hours. Have to work hard to get there.[/QUOTE]
    My shop is in the temperate rain forest of East Tennessee. We are in the bullseye of high mold and pollen counts. My shop has a conventional central heat pump with a good quality air filter (usually the high efficiency Filtrete filters). In effect, I have three air cleaners. The house has a number of Honeywell room air cleaners and the heat pump. In addition to the Dylos, my lungs are a pretty sensitive particle detector. We don’t have carpet and we use a Dyson vacuum with a HEPA filter. The goal is to keep the lungs clear.

Thanks Alan for your input regarding decibel level of 2000. Will avoid that and perhaps just take Jim's advice and buy a second Jet 1000.