Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vermont Natural Coatings on turned pieces

Found some very obvious typos on one web page and .pdf, which does not inspire confidence. Perhaps I missed them, are there MSDS sheets on the web site? Finally, I was looking for some results of industry standard tests, such as hardness and resistance to staining by common items, and/or side by side comparisons with well known finishes. I would like to support innovative products, but can't afford come-back on items sold to customers because a new finish failed in some way.

Roger -- Thank you for your insights. Question: How easy or difficult is it to repair an item that has been finished with VNC? For example, say a piece is handled frequently and the finish is worn through in a couple of spots. Can you simply apply another coat, or do you need to sand back to the bare wood? With many film finishes, a new coat will lay on top of the prior coats -- leading to layers of finish that will show through if you try to simply touch up a wear spot or fill a scratch. (That's not the case with a true lacquer. The new coat will melt into the prior coats, leaving just one layer of finish. That can make a lacquer finish easier to repair.)

I ask because reparability is major consideration for me with items that will be handled frequently. For those, I generally prefer to use a polymerizing oil (such as walnut and BLO). It's not as durable as most film finishes, but it's much easier to repair with just another coat of oil.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Blog Entries
    David,
    I would lightly sand the original finish before overcoating. Also make sure and remove any oils from handling. I’ve let 48 hours go by between coats without problems. But these questions are best answered by the folks at VNC.

truthfully,I’ve never repaired an item that used VNC. But the things I make are just for family. This stuff is a polyurethane so it’s resistant to just about everything. at least that’s what I would have told you two weeks ago.
    but...
    probably the item that has seen the most abuse is an oak coffee table I made for my daughter about ten years ago. It survived people putting up their feet, food and drinks and still looked like new. Then my two grandsons made it the center of their play. They spilled water, food, paint, you name it and it still looked great. About a week ago, something got on there and took off about two square inches of the varnish. It got down to bare wood somehow. I’m debating just relocating or sanding to bare wood, restraining and renovating.

I can’t give you any long term feedback but I recently did a project for a rehab hospital. They needed a set of platforms (2”,4” & 6”)to teach wounded vets how to jump curbs in a wheelchair. The leading edge of the platforms will take a lot of abuse so, while most of the platform is Baltic Birch plywood, the leading edge is hickory. I finished them with VNC floor varnish. As far as I know, the finish is ok after a month of daily use.

I like walnut oil too.