Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chisel chipping and well...should I get a quality set? Educate me!!!

Blog Entries
    Ryan, your location isn't listed in your profile.

There are many members who like Andrew would welcome you to their shop for a test drive of their chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan W Taylor View Post
    Today I sharpened my Lowes special Irwin Marples chisels for the first time. I just got these a couple weeks ago and used them on the speaker stands/tables that I made. I noticed that I had chips on the edge of the 1/4 chisel. I sharpened them and was able to get a good solid edge on it again. That leads me to the next question...should I just make do with this set for now, or should I start to hunt around for a set of used high quality chisels? I saw a review of the Narex Richters, but outside of that...I really don't know squat about them. Help!!
    Here's a very fine craftsman building a Newport blockfront chest and using the same chisels you have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRbIq-kxIgQ

Blunt the chisels on your grinder, straight on. A one-second touch will do it. Then, put the hollow back in taking out almost all of the bluntness to just behind what will be the cutting edge. Don't go all the way to the edge. Keep the tool cool in water. When you get close, then work out the remaining scintilla of bluntness on your honing stones, i.e. hone as usual until you have a nice edge. Problem solved. All you're doing is shortening the chisel a very little bit, but you're doing it without dilly-dallying around.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 02-17-2021 at 4:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Wow, these look like they have turned into a good investment > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?238778

My cost ~5 years ago was $3.24 including sales tax.

Something to consider when purchasing tools is what happens if you replace them or don't want them any more. Some hold value better than others. Many may actually increase in value.

Many old rust hunt finds are now selling for more on ebay and other sites than was paid for them a few years ago.

jtk
    My first set was from my Father and they are probably 50 years old now (thats it, i am old if these Chisels are 50 years old, oh my).
    I purchased two more sets at different times when I would find them dirt cheap so now I have the original set, a newer sharpened set, and one set still in package unopened. When my neighbor wanted to borrow a chisel and I knew he would beat it up, he got these. He did beat it up and I did not care at all. Easy to fix.

My intention was to let my daughter learn to sharpen on one of the sets, it just never happened.

I have probably given away at least one set of these to someone who had none but would rarely use them. Here, I paid $5 for this set. Enjoy!

The old, blue handled Marples, and Record chisels are my daily users. If they weren't capable, I'd be using something else. I have no experience with them since Irwin bought the company.

Just for reality check, I just chopped some mortises in Doug Fir, 5 of them. These are bowtie or dovetail plugs in a fairly hefty piece of wood that will soon be my face vise. The plugs, also Doug Fir. Eight inches long, 2" wide at the neck, three inches wide at the ends (1:8 slope). I chopped them all 3/4 " deep.

I could have sharpened more often than I did. What I was doing was getting most of the waste out, sharpen, then go around taking the last eighth off the wall of the mortise. Of the five mortises I chopped, I had to start with the bench grinder once, for the other four I started with my coarsest stone to get the chips out then all the way up the stone collection.

Chisel is A2, with a 35 degree secondary bevel. It was not an inexpensive chisel. Doug Fir may have a high silica content (I bet Jim Koepke knows without having to look at his phone), but I know Doug Fir is brutal to chop mortises in and have always figured it is because the early wood is so stringy. Of the chisels I have used mortising Doug Fir I agree my Barr Quarton chisel stands up to Doug Fir "the best", but it still needs routine sharpening.

My advice is keep the chisels you got, keep them sharp, try other chisels when you have a chance and pick your next chisels for something other than edge retention. Balance, hand feel, thrown to you by a watery tart, whatever. There is a ton of good chisels out there, but they will all need routine attention. Wait for something that feels right and good and true in your hands, among the may good ones to pick from.

Also, ASAP set up a sharpening station somewhere other than your workbench top. I am sorry I put it off as long as I did, in the past I had to clear my benchtop to setup for sharpening, usually at the end of the day. Now I can leave the project piece(s) on the benchtop, turn to my left, sharpen, turn back to my right and continue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Doug Fir may have a high silica content (I bet Jim Koepke knows without having to look at his phone), but I know Doug Fir is brutal to chop mortises in and have always figured it is because the early wood is so stringy.
    Can't look at my cell phone, don't have one. Doug fir is about average in silica except in the bark. The bark is loaded with silica.

Besides being stringy, the dark rings can be quite hard.

Chopping mortises in these was a lot of work:

Tail End Legs.jpg

The wood does plane well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lot of of good relevant info here. "1/4 inch chisel". Narrow chisels chip easier because they are usually used just like all
    the other chisels. So the edge is taking a "bigger hit. "Make it a habit to be gentle with the mallet"
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-18-2021 at 5:09 PM. Reason: punctuation

I just got a new Narex chisel (2"), not the fancy Richter since they do not offer it in 2", but...

• It took a lot of time to flatten the back compared to a higher end chisel. I mean hours rather than a few minutes. I should have just started with a coarse grit.
    • Lots of chipping after first abuse (I was chipping into some Oak), but this is common.

On the other hand, this softer chisel is very easy to sharpen, and I expect to wear past the soft brittle tip just as you can probably do with your existing chisels. So, use them more and see if the problem persists. If you have time, just grind in a few mm and see if it goes away. I have not had time to do it with my new Narex chisel yet, and it is not even close to holding an edge like my PM-V11 chisels (did not expect it to), but I have also not yet gotten past the initial soft section.

Do like the chisel, I have to say.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    You do not say where you live. If it is near Columbus Ohio, I can help you make sure that your chisels are sharp.

Note that I have done a lot of work using some very cheap chisels

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-15.../dp/B00002X1YO

Watch the edge and you probably need to touch them up often. I have a hollow grind so it is easy to free hand them. So it is a quick jump to some stones and back in action. Also, note the Unicorn method mentioned above.

That said, you have to decide how much you are willing to deal with the sharpening issues. I like this set, but it is over $400 for five chisels.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=05S2150

OK, so you take it back a step and get the same set in O1 for $100 less (so $340)

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=05S2050

Those Narex Richter Chisels are starting to look pretty good at $130

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=10S1125

Tones things back a bit and you can get a set of four Narex chisels (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1) for under $50
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=10S0976

I think that the Stanley sweet heart chisels have an OK reputation. Set of 4 is about $100 and 8 about $165
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-79.../dp/B004TK0IG8

Many people here like the Lie Nielsen chisels
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/40...l-edge-chisels

With all that said, I obviously own a mixture. If you really want to replace your chisels, decide a few things:

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you want to replace them one at a time with your most used first, or just buy a large set?

What type of steel do you want? People argue if you should buy O1 or A2. I really like the PMV-11 steel. I hear nothing but good things about the Narex Richter chisels and their price is good.

I do have the Set of PM-V11 chisels. I also own some standard extra long Narex paring chisels. I own a set of Ashley Iles Mortise Chisels. I also own a set of misc chisels. It started with those really cheap chisels mentioned at the top. Then I inherited a bunch of misc chisels that seem to be old Stanley Sweetheart chisels (but there are no markings on them). The point with this last part is that you can probably also get some old used chisels (vintage) as well.

Again, if you live near, you can give some of these a try.

Andrew
    Thank you, Andrew. I wasted a lot of chisels thx to my wrong sharpening