Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisel chipping and well...should I get a quality set? Educate me!!!

Chisel chipping and well...should I get a quality set? Educate me!!!

Today I sharpened my Lowes special Irwin Marples chisels for the first time. I just got these a couple weeks ago and used them on the speaker stands/tables that I made. I noticed that I had chips on the edge of the 1/4 chisel. I sharpened them and was able to get a good solid edge on it again. That leads me to the next question...should I just make do with this set for now, or should I start to hunt around for a set of used high quality chisels? I saw a review of the Narex Richters, but outside of that...I really don't know squat about them. Help!!

Hi Ryan,

Chipping a chisel happens often in construction, where nails and other hazards are often hidden in wood.

Chipping a chisel in a shop can happen through regular use if you hit embedded metal or really hard knots.
    Otherwise, I would guess that the chisel got chipped when on a work table or
    in a drawer, and it met other hard tools.
    I suggest keeping what you have and working a lot with them, till you get to the point that
    you KNOW that your technique is good and the chisels are holding you back.
    And be thankful we aren't in the Bronze Age, when chisels sometimes had to be sharpened every few minutes. : -)

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Before you spend a lot on new chisels, I highly recommend trying out the "unicorn method" of sharpening, which involves using a buffing wheel. It can greatly increase the durability of your edges, and is very fast and easy.

I made a video about it here:
    https://vimeo.com/444232624

The buffing wheel in the video is from a $10 kit I got from Home Depot:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Me...BK72/301848645

Derek Cohen has also written about it here:
    http://inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...ornMethod.html

Narex chisels, as well as some other brands, will be a bit brittle the first couple times of sharpening. Apparently, the heat treat method leaves a very thin outer layer that tends to chip until ground back slightly. That may be your issue.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Outside of hitting something you didn't want to hit, e.g. a nail, chipping is usual due to an overly hard brittle chisel. I've never seen any of the big box store chisels being accused of being too hard. (Too soft is very common.) I'd try to be careful and wait to see if this is a habit before I decided I had to replace a chisel.

There are several ways when sharpening to minimizing chipping. Winston pointed to one that should be easy and a lot of people have found to be very helpful for chisels like yours.

All that said, if you want to start shopping... there are a gazillion threads on here about different chisels, their characteristics, and the tradeoffs. Malcolm Schweizer started one looking for the modern equivalent of old chisels: Who is making O1 chisels of high quality? There are many options, with the Richter being just one of them.

I have a 1" (or maybe 3/4") Marples chisel that has a huge void in the bevel that showed up after grinding. This was to be a Unicorn method tester since it is an obviously inferior specimen. The void looks just like a flake fell out of it so I have some more grinding to do. Strongly advise you take Winston's advice and try unicorning your edges before spending significant money.

Blog Entries
    Today I sharpened my Lowes special Irwin Marples chisels for the first time. I just got these a couple weeks ago
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Narex chisels, as well as some other brands, will be a bit brittle the first couple times of sharpening. Apparently, the heat treat method leaves a very thin outer layer that tends to chip until ground back slightly. That may be your issue.
    What John said. Your chisels are still in the break in stage.

It could also be the wood you are using. Some woods have more silicates in them and are extra hard on chisels and plane irons.

One advantage of these chisels is the break in period will help you improve sharpening skills. You will also learn what you like or don't like about them to consider for a future set.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Chipping from morticing Oak?

I had a set of the blue handled Marples chisels many years ago. They required sharpening every few minutes, the edge deformed on hard woods. They were a soft steel. I found them to be frustrating to use, a complete waste of my time.
    I would buy a decent set.

I watched the buffing thing video. It’s just old re-invented. MANY years ago microscopic studies showed a blade with small irregularities when used the irregularities would ‘catch’ more than the rest acting as fulcrums to damage the blade. The message was simple, the sharper the blade to start the longer the edge would last. Increasing the microbevel angle, even a little at the edge makes the edge stronger and longer lasting.

Barr Quarton’s hand sharpening method for his timber frame chisels has the handle lifted at the very end of the stroke. The ‘rounding’ makes the edge very strong, not to mention the superb hand forged steel. Chop away in white oak, day after day, still sharp, you would think they were from a different planet.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

You do not say where you live. If it is near Columbus Ohio, I can help you make sure that your chisels are sharp.

Note that I have done a lot of work using some very cheap chisels

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-15.../dp/B00002X1YO

Watch the edge and you probably need to touch them up often. I have a hollow grind so it is easy to free hand them. So it is a quick jump to some stones and back in action. Also, note the Unicorn method mentioned above.

That said, you have to decide how much you are willing to deal with the sharpening issues. I like this set, but it is over $400 for five chisels.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=05S2150

OK, so you take it back a step and get the same set in O1 for $100 less (so $340)

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=05S2050

Those Narex Richter Chisels are starting to look pretty good at $130

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=10S1125

Tones things back a bit and you can get a set of four Narex chisels (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1) for under $50
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=10S0976

I think that the Stanley sweet heart chisels have an OK reputation. Set of 4 is about $100 and 8 about $165
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-79.../dp/B004TK0IG8

Many people here like the Lie Nielsen chisels
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/40...l-edge-chisels

With all that said, I obviously own a mixture. If you really want to replace your chisels, decide a few things:

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you want to replace them one at a time with your most used first, or just buy a large set?

What type of steel do you want? People argue if you should buy O1 or A2. I really like the PMV-11 steel. I hear nothing but good things about the Narex Richter chisels and their price is good.

I do have the Set of PM-V11 chisels. I also own some standard extra long Narex paring chisels. I own a set of Ashley Iles Mortise Chisels. I also own a set of misc chisels. It started with those really cheap chisels mentioned at the top. Then I inherited a bunch of misc chisels that seem to be old Stanley Sweetheart chisels (but there are no markings on them). The point with this last part is that you can probably also get some old used chisels (vintage) as well.

Again, if you live near, you can give some of these a try.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I have a 1" (or maybe 3/4") Marples chisel that has a huge void in the bevel that showed up after grinding.
    Curt, could you post a picture of the chisel. It'd be interesting to see an example of this failure.

To answer your question, yes, just make do with your current set. Keep learning to sharpen and get them past the break in stage. They will gradually improve mostly because your ability to recognize dull and sharp and willingness to do it more often will increase with practice. I have that set for about 10 years, and they still function pretty well.

I would strive to get to that point. Then you can upgrade because you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan W Taylor View Post
    Today I sharpened my Lowes special Irwin Marples chisels for the first time ... I noticed that I had chips on the edge of the 1/4 chisel. I sharpened them and was able to get a good solid edge on it again. That leads me to the next question...should I just make do with this set for now, or should I start to hunt around for a set of used high quality chisels?
    I would repair the edge and keep using them, only time will tell you if they work for you or not. High quality chisels is a debatable concept, one can certainly pay more for a single chisel that has had more labor and expensive materials put into its making, or for that super-duper-high-tech-cryo-powder-hard-etc. steel. Will it do the job better than a hardware store chisel? I used this $2 Harbor Freight chisel on Bubinga to make some of the cuts in an oilstone box I made a few weeks ago, it certainly didn't fail and was as good as the Ashley Isles chisel that is twenty time more expensive.

You can do excellent work with a lower cost set of chisels. You might have to sharpen them more often but they will certainly work.

Of course, there are other aspects of chisels, such as handle shape, balance, and just how they feel to you.

Mike

[Most inexpensive chisels tend towards being soft, in my experience.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Note that I have done a lot of work using some very cheap chisels

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-15.../dp/B00002X1YO
    Wow, these look like they have turned into a good investment > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?238778

My cost ~5 years ago was $3.24 including sales tax.

Something to consider when purchasing tools is what happens if you replace them or don't want them any more. Some hold value better than others. Many may actually increase in value.

Many old rust hunt finds are now selling for more on ebay and other sites than was paid for them a few years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)