Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Spruce Hand Forged Draw Knife

Blue Spruce Hand Forged Draw Knife

https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/products/drawknife

Designed you can push or pull. I have never used a draw knife before.

Crazy me, I ordered one.

That's one beautiful looking tool. What wood did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/products/drawknife

Designed you can push or pull. I have never used a draw knife before.

Crazy me, I ordered one.
    I don't know draw knives, so can't judge how well it'll work. But worst case you'll be getting a gorgeous tool-shaped sculpture!

Aw, damn, why do I open some of these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    That's one beautiful looking tool. What wood did you get?
    I was torn so I went with the Cocobolo. Probably should have saved $20 and taken the curly maple. I knew I would not remember that African black wood stuff 10 years from now, but I would remember Cocobolo.

$200 US dollars?

Somebody got their stimulus check, early.

That drawknife looks beautiful. Blue Spruce makes great products and Dave is a really terrific guy. I don't mind spending extra knowing that I'll get fantastic quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    $200 US dollars?

Somebody got their stimulus check, early.
    I am receiving requests for money from pretty much everyone all the time, but them there politicians have other things on their mind than sending me money.

I think that I have use for this draw knife. Will see when it arrives.

As with all things Blue Spruce, you are paying (somewhat) for the attention to detail as well as the "pretty" factor. Also, I like the fact that it is designed to work for pull as well as push. Not sure I have seen that in a draw knife before. Sure, I could probably use a spoke shave, but I don't own that either.

Andrew, I frequently flip my drawknives over to push when I need to stop a cut. It really depends on tilt of the handles. If they are significantly tilted one way or the other (bevel up or bevel down) then pushing the knife can be cumbersome. Blue Spruce tools are top quality for sure. The splayed handles and short cutting edge reminds me of the model maker drawknives that have 4” edges and splayed handles. I have several drawknives, but have never tried that configuration. You will need to report back on your new toy when you get it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    That drawknife looks beautiful. Blue Spruce makes great products and Dave is a really terrific guy. I don't mind spending extra knowing that I'll get fantastic quality.
    Dave Jeske sold Blue Spruce to Woodpeckers about a year ago now. If you click the About page on the Blue Spruce link Andrew posted above, you will see the address for Blue Spruce is Woodpeckers’ address in Strongsville, OH. This is basically a ‘one-time’ tool, take pre-orders and production is limited to that.
    Last edited by J. Greg Jones; 02-17-2021 at 8:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Dave Jeske sold Blue Spruce to Woodpeckers about a year ago now. If you click the About page on the Blue Spruce link Andrew posted above, you will see the address for Blue Spruce is Woodpeckers’ address in Strongsville, OH. This is basically a ‘one-time’ tool, take pre-orders and production is limited to that.
    I was confused by something on the receipt that they sent me then I realized that they were in Strongsville Ohio. I then look at a map and saw that they were either adjacent to Woodpeckers or part of them. So, I shot them an email yesterday.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Woodpeckers bought Blue Spruce in August 2019 and moved everything to Strongsville, Ohio in August 2020. Even though they have the same owner, Blue Spruce operates as a separate entity.[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]The Draw Knives are beautiful and also made in Ohio.[/COLOR]
    I had no idea.

I’m sure you will be happy with it. I bought a small bevel gauge from them after the sale, and it was just as nice as anything I bought when Dave owned the company.

I heard THAT.

Dave did sell Blue Spruce to Woodpeckers but he is still involved with them. Woodpeckers is doing the manufacturing and distribution but Dave is still helping research, develop and design tools.
    This announcement was in the Australian Wood Review: http://www.woodreview.com.au/news/bl...of-woodpeckers.
    He always seemed to like the designing side of the house a lot more; I think the grind of making all the tools and getting them out was taking all of the fun out of the effort.

Another oregon tool MFG down... Seems like at one time there were quite a few in the Portland area. Blue spruce, wenzlehoff, bridge city, knight planes.
    Now there are none that I know of.