Thread: made a nail cabinet

made a nail cabinet

Been working on this off and on for a while. Will be some nice storage for nails and other odds and ends. I didn't do the whole "make it a crate" thing, seemed like a waste of wood. Especially since I used maple and cherry. No reason to use that nice of wood for the shop but maybe someone in 50 years will appreciate it.

Need some kind of magnetic catch for the door but not seeing anything small, any suggestions?

Otherwise these drawers are kind of huge. Probably going to add some interior dividers.

Edit: should give credit, Schwarz article from Popular Woodworking #209. Roy Underhill's Nail Cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thomas Crawford; 02-16-2021 at 3:00 PM.

Interesting.... Looks nice. So, what did you end up doing with those large (as you called them) drawers? Did you add dividers?

The front door is a nice touch and I like the fact that you can put labels on the fronts. I finally did that with my last build.

Very nice work and a very useful project. Where did you purchase the drawer pulls? I only see brass/brass plated pulls in that style.

I'm planning on it. Here's a pic for scale vs the standard plastic case of drawers you get at the BORG.

IMG_6077.jpg

Also the drawer bottoms are oriented the wrong way. I cut them all and realized I rotated the dimensions 90 degrees. They are just nailed on so we'll see how long they last.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Very nice work and a very useful project. Where did you purchase the drawer pulls? I only see brass/brass plated pulls in that style.
    These are the ones that I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713T75YD

They are not very sturdy, and the screws are not great, but, they work great on the last two cabinets that I built.

I used these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The screws are terrible unless you drill the biggest pilot hole possible. I broke three of them off. I was able to back a couple out with pliers but one of them I had to drill out. The finish isn't great either. Depends on how nice you want them to look. A couple coats of spray paint would solve any finish issues. I had more than I needed so I just picked the best ones.

Blog Entries
    Need some kind of magnetic catch for the door but not seeing anything small, any suggestions?
    Rare earth magnets are available in sizes from a quarter inch up. One of these mounted in a hole in the door with a steel screw in the frame should do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Colleagues: thanks for the information on the drawer pulls.

Thomas,
    I think that looks great!

Patrick

Blog Entries
    Nice work! Shop furniture rewards you every time you see it. Some of the projects I appreciate the most are shop furniture - good examples of "Form follows function". You'll know you got a winning piece of shop furniture wed your building this second or even third version of it because "you just want to look right".

Cheers, Mike