Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

15 Feb 2021

Greetings,
    I hope this finds each of you safe and warm. We are facing rolling blackouts due to the strain on the power grids and temps today only reached 13 degrees F. So we are trying to run as little as we can on power consumption.

Got a little time in the shop this past week. Dry fit of The LOML's kitchen pantry expansion went well and I found out that I'm 2.25" too tall so it's far better to find out now instead of finding out at install time.

We got 8" of snow over the past 24 hours and that's a LOT of snow for this part of the country. We are doing well, staying warm, thanks to the woodstove and the firewood pile.

I started oncall duty for the day job today and that means that I'm already looking forward to next Monday morning (so I can be OFF of oncall duty).

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Stay warm Dennis! We've had some snow and cold, but nothing really out of the ordinary for Feb. in NE Ohio. Other parts of the country were not so lucky. I had planned a trip to Hartville tool for Monday, but pushed it off because of the snow; hope to go Wednesday.

I rough milled all the stock for my desk tops and then spent far too long agonizing over grain and color matching and all the other considerations that go into laying out big glued up panels. But worked through that, milled to close to final thickness (1") and glued up 3 sections for each top. I was able to keep each section below the 12" width of my j/p so I will give each section a quick clean up pass and then do the final glue-ups. The sections came up nice and flat and straight; keeping my fingers crossed that my good fortune continues with the final glue-up. Once that is done, I need to trim to final length and width and then fill a couple of pin knot holes with black epoxy. Fortunately it's cherry, so they will just look like pitch. Then it's on to finishing.

Keep warm and safe everyone!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

There are a lot of folks "enjoying" some nice winter weather...and the effects that it brings, especially when it's not a normal thing. Whacky whether is the new normal!

Not much time in the shop this past week...I'm working on some in-house projects that need done in case we actually become successful in our hunt for the "what comes next" property...which is a stressful process as I noted in my thread on that topic in OT. This weekend I replaced a baseboard in Professor Dr. SWMBO's office that had long ago been damaged by insects and cleaned the oven. (that was fun...not!) Next up is some updating of my small office just across the hall from our master bedroom. The paint needs refreshed and because a throw carpet damaged the wide pine flooring in the middle from "chair action", I'm going to install some vinyl or laminate flooring that will be more fit for purpose. After the process of tearing down the decades old Ikea desk system, I took the one top panel that was in excellent shape (notable considering this was from the late 1980s) and put it on an electric sit/stand base to use going forward. It's all temporarily in our MBR and working out very nicely. There was a whole lot of unused desk space...err...it was used, but for storing dreck...with the far larger "wall to wall" desk setup I've been using for a very long time.

IMG_E8991.jpg

This week will be more of the same plus i have from CNC design work to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finished my new desk for the computer. It’s in an alcove in the family room. The old one didn’t add much to the decor.
    I credit the members here for its success as there was a thread about a designer I was unfamiliar with, and when I looked up Jens Risom, I saw a desk I liked. This is my interpretation.
    Ash with birch drawer sides and back.9F6524E1-7EE8-41B6-A71A-B2B03553CD9E.jpgEDB9D8B6-8655-40E1-9758-D463186CBA5C.jpg

Beautiful desk David!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Accomplished? I don't know how much this accomplished but I did take down my cobbled together dust collector off my wall for reevaluation and optimization. Going to re-install as high as it will go on the wall, cut a hole in the top of my wynn cannister filter to pipe the (exhaust, would you call it?) directly in without the metal separator that came with the Harbor Freight DC. This will hopefully get me slightly better results and also allow me to mount the cannister below the DC to save a bunch of space. I was hoping to upgrade the impeller at the same time but the compatible Rikon impellers are all out of stock until at least sometime next month. It's a dusty, dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it...

As my wife had left me to visit family members, I had the usual chores of house upkeep to contend with, paying bills and I even managed to find some shop time. The new sharpening supplies I ordered arrived and I started figuring out where I was going to mount some of it how I would use it. I completed the door for the end table I'm building but wasn't satisfied with the results. It's my first inset door and I have a too large gap that doesn't satisfy me. So, I will rebuild the door.

We had 8-9" of snow measured yesterday and got another inch or so overnight. Today the wife returns. I will pick her up in her new CRV as it's the first time I'll have to test it's ability to drive in snow. My Pilot does great!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    It was a slow week in the workshop here - I was pretty busy keeping up with nearly 30" of snow and had lots of -10 to -20F temps. Finally getting a break from that now. Had to get up on the roof of the house a couple of times to clear snow and ice off the plumbing vent stacks. I'm currently working on building an under table dust collection box for my Jessem router table and spent some quality time feeding the woodstove while hand flattening and sharpening several new to me plane blades.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I finished my new desk for the computer. It’s in an alcove in the family room. The old one didn’t add much to the decor.
    I credit the members here for its success as there was a thread about a designer I was unfamiliar with, and when I looked up Jens Risom, I saw a desk I liked. This is my interpretation.
    Ash with birch drawer sides and back.9F6524E1-7EE8-41B6-A71A-B2B03553CD9E.jpgEDB9D8B6-8655-40E1-9758-D463186CBA5C.jpg
    Beautiful work, I love it!

Paul and Zac,
    Thanks for the compliments! I will say that being a member here has certainly helped me up my game.
    Best regards,
    David

I replaced the 28" door in my 2nd bathroom with a 30" door. My MIL is moving in with us this week and her wheelchair wouldn't fit through the 28" door. It was a lot of work getting the jack studs out and replaced with 1/2" plywood (non-load bearing wall) and cutting the drywall back 1" on each side, but it's done now and the door operates perfectly, with no binding or rattling when closed. Now I have to replace the trim around the new door and patch some small voids in the flooring opened up by the new door.

I repaired an antique dresser for my granddaughter. The glue had failed and it was coming apart. It was interesting in that someone had repaired it before with nails. It seems to be a very old factory piece because of the machine cut drawer dovetails and the solid wood backslats and drawer bottoms. I Used epoxy with dark sanding dust because all the joints were loose. I had to replace a web frame piece and drawer guides. I was kind of proud that it still looks the same.

I built some racks for my long pipe clamps.
    Last edited by Charlie Jones; 02-16-2021 at 8:04 PM.
    Charlie Jones

I sealed the back side of my red elm slab. Nothing fancy. Needs legs and it's good to go. It's still too cold to pour epoxy, so my main project (reclaimed red oak for a table) is on hold till after the baby comes in a week. A week, holy crap. I am glad it's then and not this one. I work at the hospital and most of us have been telecommuting because nobody can get to our outpatient clinics. The dogs are not conducive to this.
    elm.jpg

I've been working on adding newer dust collection technologies/concepts to my shop. I completed the biggie couple months ago by converting my Delta 1200 cfm bag system to a SDD the exhausts outdoors. Been circling back to at tool collection now. Past week I:

-modified my big awkward downdraft box and mounted under my TS outfeed table which included drilling 580+ holes in the table.
    -made a wood bracket and attached to the motor mount on my DP giving me the ability to better position Line-Loc DC hose directly adjacent to the bit for ALL drilling.
    -enlarged the DC port on my Delta B.O.S.S
    -enlarged the tiny DC ports on my Rikon 1" belt/8" disc sander by making a shroud with a 2" port on the disc side and enlarging the belt access door DC port with 2" PVC.
    -broke down and serviced my Craftsman 4" belt/6" disc sander removing the useless 6" disc side....machine will be a 4" belt sander exclusively.....still building a DC shroud for it.

All the sanders used a non-dedicated shop vac which was a PITA....this project will connect all the sanders to my central DC via 2" PVC in a benchtop sanding station, so lots of plumbing next.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.