Thread: How to restore this mid-century entry door

How to restore this mid-century entry door

Hi all,

I am working on a remodel of a mid-century ranch. IMO the front door is pretty cool and worth saving if I can figure out how to do it. The exterior side has what seems to be a ~ 1/8" skin of rotary cut oak where several pieces have peeled off.

I don't know of a way to repair the existing skin in a way that would look acceptable as a stained door. Assuming I could get the existing skin off, I am unsure where to source a replacement piece. If anyone has some thoughts on how to go about this project, I would love to hear them!

front door.jpg front door 2.jpg

Nearly any hardwood supplier can get you 1/8" door skins.

Steam off the degraded thick veneer (or patch the damaged area level) and apply a new skin as Richard mentions. Then route the fax panel details with a track and a pointed roundover cutter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If it's an exterior door the veneer is not likely to come off with steam. I think you'll need to use a router sled or take it to someone with a wide belt sander. You can glue on the new veneer with epoxy without having to use a vacuum press. Just cover it with a sheet of 3/4" plywood and lay some sand bags on top.

John

That's a good point, John, if exterior rated glue was used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...