Thread: Scrap Boxes

Blog Entries

Scrap Boxes

I have limited resaw capability in my in-between work space so I concocted these out of scraps.
    McLaren Box (11).jpg
    I've posted about these shop made stop blocks before. They are handy for repeated cuts of different lengths.
    McLaren Box (3).jpg
    With thte miters cut I run a 50T blade with an FTG raker to cut 1/8" x 1/8" grooves for top bottom and inserts tray supports.
    McLaren Box (5).jpg
    I find some oak scraps that are thin enough and wide enough to use for veneers on a plywood substrate for the bottoms.
    McLaren Box (6).jpg
    I cut the bottoms to size and mill a tongue all the way around, same for the tops.
    McLaren Box (12).jpg
    You can see some of the joinery here. The tops are done with a router technique I saw on a MCM cabinet with bypass doors years ago.
    McLaren Box (14).jpg
    I've reached the photo limit so what more can I say . . . I finish the insides of the box and the complete top and bottom before assembly. I use masking tape oin the inside to control squeeze-out and packing tape on the outside to hold the sides until I get it in the clamps.
    McLaren Box (15).jpg
    Smaller boxes use just the packing tape. A about 8X5 these call for clamps.
    McLaren Box (16).jpg
    The top will be cut off about an inch down, hinges and a pull added along with an insert tray.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Alas, I guess we find boxes boring now days .

I use these to allow me to cut the box into the two parts without misalignment errors. You can also use a bit of hot glue in the kerf.

McLaren Box (20).jpg
    And we have a top and a bottom.
    McLaren Box (23).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Nice job!
    Kind of overwhelming amount of time to end up with a small item but after years of woodworking I never made a decorative box until a few weeks ago. Turned out nice except for a little warp in the lid. I did a little careful vise squeezing on the hinges so the lid stays open 15 degrees on both sides of vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Alas, I guess we find boxes boring now days .
    Not at all ! No wood project has more appeal than beautifully done wooden treasure boxes ! Some of us are just too busy putting some more decals
    on our plastic bleach containers before we post our “space age” ...and waterproof “assorted nails and screws” containers !
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-16-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Love boxes. So much flexibility in design and great gifts. I see you bought shorter threaded rods for the LV clamps and put a nut on the end to keep from loosing the tightening nut. Great idea. I bought longer threaded rod for some larger picture frames...need to get some shorter ones for boxes.

Ironically, I had just watched an older video by Sam Blasco about processing his shop scraps into pieces usable for small projects and decorative uses...there is nothing better than taking material that's been saved in the shop and putting it to good use! Your boxes are worthy! (and not boring, either)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    BTW everyone . . . my "Alas" comment was supposed to sound funny. It doesn't quite read that way on second look. Please take it as funny.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    BTW everyone . . . my "Alas" comment was supposed to sound funny. It doesn't quite read that way on second look. Please take it as funny.
    Okay, Glenn, I chuckled. Your post is another valuable tutorial. I had not considered using a veneer bottom for my boxes. I will give it a try now. Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Very nice! Thanks on the tips on the top cutting. I've had some mixed results with that in the past.

Blog Entries
    Had a break while finishing up some electrical conduit. Had a window today so I put in the tray supports.

McLaren Box (26).jpg . McLaren Box (28).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I cut some free form shapes out of the lid scraps. Thin them and shape them to my liking. I drill small holes for mini-dowels (snips of stainless wire). I put a piece of tape on the front of the lid about where I want the pull. When I am happy with the position I press the wires against the tape leaving marks. I drill receiver holes in the front of the lid, remove the tape and epoxy the pull on.

McLaren Box (29).jpg . McLaren Box (30).jpg

I set an angle that will allow the lid to easily stay open and drill holes for the small brass screws and chain that will act as a stop. Not my preferred method but hey, these are scrap boxes .

McLaren Box (31).jpg . McLaren Box (32).jpg

Add the chain, felt lid bumpers and a tray and they end up like so.

McLaren Box (33).jpg . McLaren Box (34).jpg . McLaren Box (35).jpg

– Samuel Butler

can you give us more info on the top texture?

very nice work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    can you give us more info on the top texture?

very nice work.
    I use 2 or 3 sizes of core box bit in a Bosch Colt. I move the router up and down as I move across the material. I have had very nice patterns turn to junk by not knowing when to stop . Here's the same sort of thing in dyed maple on an urn.

Dave-Urn (12).jpg

– Samuel Butler