Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stains on new table saw top

Stains on new table saw top

Hello,

i recently purchased the SawStop PCS and these stains have appeared on the cast iron. I have not exposed it to water at all. Can anyone give me an idea of how to get rid of them and prevent in the future?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Tony, I would suggest cleaning it with Varsol and a green Scotchbrite pad, then wipe it down and wax it with paste wax meant for hardwood floors, not automotive wax which could contain silicones.........regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Use it till the stains are gone. No matter what you do, if the saw gets used, it's not going to stay looking pristine & new.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Use it till the stains are gone. No matter what you do, if the saw gets used, it's not going to stay looking pristine & new.
    ^^ This.......... But what Rod mentions is also sound advice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Both spots look about the same.
    Looks like a box with a wet bottom was set down and then moved a foot or so.

Thanks everyone for the advice and information. I took Rod's advice and it worked! Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Both spots look about the same.
    Looks like a box with a wet bottom was set down and then moved a foot or so.
    Three identical stains looks like something was set down and moved three times. Or it may be glue. If you haven't done it yet, wax your table top with Johnson Paste wax. You'll be glad you did.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Tony, I would suggest cleaning it with Varsol and a green Scotchbrite pad, then wipe it down and wax it with paste wax meant for hardwood floors, not automotive wax which could contain silicones.........regards, Rod.
    Rod,

Where can I purchase Varsol in small quantity? Is it sold under a different trade name?

Thanks.

I went to a local paint store that stocks automotive and aviation finishes and picked up a Grease & Wax Remover. No real brand as it was private labeled for that paint store. My table saw, jointer and BS were in need of attention. I wiped the G&W remover, rubbed it well, let dry and hit it with an X-fine sanding block. Wiped down again and applied the Johnson's Paste Wax, and all three came up great. Dispose of the rags carefully. I do have a pesky stain on the BS that had no intention of giving up. I've used the Johnson's Wax with success for probably 20 yrs. with good results...as long as you stay up with it.

Kind of like that first scratch on the bed of your new work truck. Throw in a few more boulders and get on with life.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Rod,

Where can I purchase Varsol in small quantity? Is it sold under a different trade name?

Thanks.
    Hi, it may be called paint thinner or mineral spirits....Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    I keep a can of Johnson's wax and I use it on my saw table and anything else I want to protect. A can will last for years,

I like to remove the factory coating as best I can. Then I liberally coat the cast iron with CorrosionX-HD and wipe off excess the next day. A week or two later, I will coat with Johnson's. I do not believe that JPW has any real moisture barrier capabilities. A simple test: Wax some cast iron and set it outside for a week, or just put a damp sponge on your waxed CI.

Varsol's MSDS says its comprised of Mineral Spirits and Naptha. Produced by ExxonMobil.

Never heard of it before. Interesting.... Always love learning new things. Thanks, Rod.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Wait til summer comes and you're sweating. Sweat on your hands and dripping from other parts of your body will keep you busy. Yes, brand new and shiny looks nice but you didn't buy it to admire it.