Thread: Good quality small drill chuck with ¼” hex drive?

Good quality small drill chuck with ¼” hex drive?

I’ve been on the hunt for a small decent quality hex drive drill chuck. All I have been able to find is cheap $10-$15 Asia junk. I even bought a couple of them hoping to get lucky, but they are complete crap. I don’t need more than ¼” capacity.
    I’m looking for something small, similar to the attached pic. Chucks like the DeWalt (DW0521) are physically too large for the intended use.

Any suggestions/help would be welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I bought a cheap one and got lucky, I use it exclusively for 1/32" bits and it works great. No runout that I can see, and with a bit that small it wouldn't take much to be pretty obvious.

No idea what you are doing with it, but for the tiny bits I use, I like the ones with the hex shank so I can just put them in an impact driver. Easy to find down to 1/16", and the driver is a nice compact tool compared to a drill. It also does not hammer with the small bits.

Bruce, I am looking for the same chuck with no luck finding anything other then junk. Grizzly had one with a Jacob's chuck but they recently stopped selling it.
    I need one for my install bag so I don't have to take a larger drill to install signs.

I bought one from Highland Hardware, it has so much wobble its useless.

Maybe a Bosch PS-21 12 volt driver. It has a 1/4" hex, variable speed, and variable clutch. https://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-ps2...hnps21-2a.html

Steve, I want to use it in my cnc router for drilling odd size holes.

Keith, I ordered a Neiko 20753A this morning that looks to have a different design than the 2 POC chucks I have. The reviews on it are pretty good. We’ll see..

Ken, I’m just looking for the chuck.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You might look at a Boeing chuck. Of course then you have to buy Boeing shank drills. Or maybe a countersink cage and threaded drills. A Boeing shank drill can be held in a normal three jaw chuck.
    Bil lD.

I have a Makita that I got at HD. I am satisfied with it, but do not know the dimensions, and it is not here right now.

It is fairly small.

I have seen very small ones that you tighten with a wrench. I think they were called 'pin chucks'?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Here is what I currently use for tiny drill bits. Both in the shop and in the field. Unfortunately no longer available and only aftermarket batteries. When that is no longer serviceable I like the looks of this Bosch. Or this one.

Keith, the third time is the charm. The Neiko 20753A chuck was delivered this morning and it runs true. I didn’t put an indicator on it but I cannot see any visible concentricity issues.
    I probably got lucky with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Andy Rooney

If your "junk" chucks used 3/8"-24 arbor threads maybe you could have removed the arbor and used that arbor with a good quality used chuck with the same threads. Ditto with any chucks using Jacob 33JT or 2JT tapers can be changed over to use a different correct arbor as needed. I picked up a used 2JT chuck for my small Chinese metal lathe and updated it with a new 2JT to short MT2 arbor from Little Machine Shop. But I don't know if there's an arbor made to go from any JT taper to 1/4" hex.

Donald, thanks. My objective was to find a physically "very small" chuck that I could use with my cnc router. The router has limited Z height – consequently, the need for small.

Andy Rooney