Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection fittings

Dust collection fittings

I'm about to install a new cyclone in my work shop (Oneida v3000). Going to use spiral 6" ducting with some drops down to 4".

Question is when adding a wye to a trunk I can either use a 6-6-6 wye and then reduce to 4" for tool or use a wye that already is 6-6-4....Is there any difference in air flow?

Rick

If there is, it isn't big enough to worry about. If anything the 6-6-4 probably has less turbulence, but again not enough to worry about. I'd use the 6-6-4 so you have one less fitting to buy and put in.

I'm with Andrew. One other consideration would be if the 4" part of the run will be long, say 8-10' or longer; then you might want to run 6" and reduce closer to the tool.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Congrats on the new cyclone system!

Personally, I'd do 5" drops for most tools off the 6" main line and only reduce at the tool. That also provides more flexibility as your tools change over time. Most of my tools actually have 120mm ports which is closer to 5" than 4".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I found the tall pineapple cans are 4" diameter and make a good starting point for attaching 4" dc hose to tools.
    Bil lD

Ditto on the 5" drops. If you drop a 4", then decide that your saw needs both a 4" cabinet connection and a connection up top, where does the air come from? Same with a router table, below and above, many bandsaws, etc.

Ditto the 5" drops. My shop system is less than ideal with a 5" trunk, but it is what I have until a future, unexpected windfall comes my way. But, other than my Drill Press, everything is served with 5" drops and I get surprising good collection. Even the Rigid Belt/Spindle Sander with an upgraded connection port is connected with 5" and works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Ditto the 5" drops. My shop system is less than ideal with a 5" trunk, but it is what I have until a future, unexpected windfall comes my way. But, other than my Drill Press, everything is served with 5" drops and I get surprising good collection. Even the Rigid Belt/Spindle Sander with an upgraded connection port is connected with 5" and works really well.
    Lisa, what did you do for your drill press and your Ridgid sander? I'm currently running a 5" trunk as well (via a 1.5HP DC w/ Super Dust Deputy), and would love to use my DC for both of those tools. I'm looking to upgrade my DC at some point this year (to 7" or 6" trunk), so I'm interested to see what you've done for those tools.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve,

For my Drill Press I have a 4" wye and blast gate connected to a "Stay Put" hose kit from Peachtree. It is simple, effective and I'm able to position the nozzle anywhere I need it. It far out-performs all sorts of other hoods etc I've had in the past.

As for the Rigid, I built a little hood by cutting away a section of 5" spiral pipe and fitting it around the end of the belt. A piece of 5" flex is fitted to the top and the whole thing is clamped to the wall to hold it in position. Not real elegant, but effective. I'll post a photo after I'm in the shop tomorrow. I have a plan to make a hood for when I'm using the spindles, but haven't made it yet.

Here are the pictures of the Dust Collection for my sander. If you need any particulars, please just ask. I'm always happy to share info.
    Resized_20210218_141055_2317.jpgResized_20210218_141103_7785.jpg

This was my prototype, but since it is working well, I'll probably just paint it and call it done. I haven't made the collector for when I spindle sand yet.

This is the kit from Peachtree that I use on my Drill Press.
    Resized_20210218_141041_600.jpg

Thanks for the responses. My plan is to run 6 inch as far as possible. Actually the jointer will be 6" all the way to the tool with a 6" blast gate at the tool and the same for the sliding miter saw inside a cabinet. Unfortunately most of my other tools have 4" duct connections. The 15" planer (grizzly only a single 4" connection), the 17" band saw (although 2 spots for collection). Tablesaw has 4 inch below and I'm going to connect 4" above the blade (shark guard) so I will have 2 4" gates open at the same time should be fine. Also router table 2 connections 4" and 2 1/2". Drill press probably something like a stay putt hose. Drum sander has 4" connector.

Lisa, those are great, thanks.

My drill press and sander live near each other, so I'm hoping to drop a line down on the wall behind the drill press that I can use for both it and the sander (and anything else of reasonable requirement). I'm using a Woodpecker's drill press fence with dust collection port, so I already have that half taken care of.

My only concern is starving the collector by narrowing down to such a small port size. My hope is to be originating from either a 7" main line or 6" trunk, so I might have to open a port somewhere else to provide enough air flow.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I connect my ROS to a small vacuum hose above my bench that connects to a 4" pipe....planning on having 2 4" outlets above bench and having both open when using the sander so as not to starve the DC.

This doesn't exactly fit into the topic of fittings but I'm looking to turn on my Oneida V3000 via micro switches attached to my blast gates through PSI lone ranger switching outlet. Has anyone disabled the magnetic switch but kept the overload protection in tact

I found the tall pineapple cans are 4" diameter and make a good starting point for attaching 4" dc hose to tools.
    Bil lD

I find it fascinating when people think of other uses for products/objects

Functional fixedness - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Functional_fixedness

Functional fixedness is a cognitive bias that limits a person to use an object only in the way it is traditionally used. The concept of functional fixedness originated in Gestalt psychology, a movement in psychology that emphasizes holistic processing.

A close friend had an interview with a IT. company 30 years ago and a question he was asked was what other things other than to write and draw could you use a pencil for
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 02-19-2021 at 5:59 AM.