Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning Turbo tax is way way off.

Did the TT thing for a few years and found it very stressful. Did I enter that number right, which 1099's do I need, what's the cost basis for this stock etc.

Now I go to a CPA, he does all that stuff and gives me actual and reliable advice. Don't have to bother you folks about tax advice.

File electronically too. Not worried about cyber security. If the bad guys didn't get my information from the Anthem insurance, VA, or Home Depot hacks then they're not paying attention.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    If I upgrade both computers to Win 10 I have to upgrade MS Office on both and that is costly, $250 per computer.

That may not necessary at all. I am running Office 2000 on W10 machine., works fine. Of course I have the original CD to load with.

Office 365 is $99 a year for up to five computers, but is actually more because you can put folks in your "family" and they also get all the benefits. I provide some support to a friend who has been unemployed for over three years now so she and her daughter have the full, current Office suite available for both job search and school. And that's with a terabyte of storage available for each family member. I know some folks don't prefer subscriptions, but Office is a pretty darn good deal in that respect, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    For one thing, a real person has to open and examine my returns, which I prefer to a computer doing it.
    For another, if your tax return gets lost in the mail, the IRS will actually believe you (and TurboTax makes it easy to replace 'em)

And JMO based on many a bad experience: 'Online Security' is an illusion. If it's online, hackers can find and exploit it...
    I’m not sure they actually “examine” paper returns anymore. From what I’ve heard, they get opened and shoved through an optical scanner, then computed electronically. To me, that’s an added step for errors to be introduced in the electronic process (though character recognition is very good these days).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Even the paid version of TT is off slightly. My Mrs. was on the phone with them about a farming equipment depreciation hiccup they had in their system. Apparently, it was a mix up with how a question was answered. Anyway, our taxes were filed last week. Went to a CPA once for taxes. Don't know what he did, but it took 4 years to get a $700 refund from the state of Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I’m not sure they actually “examine” paper returns anymore. From what I’ve heard, they get opened and shoved through an optical scanner, then computed electronically. To me, that’s an added step for errors to be introduced in the electronic process (though character recognition is very good these days).
    This is correct. Humans do not read them unless there is an issue with the scanner. They convert them to electronic for review and processing as well as for storage. The paper is disposed of. Electronic transmittal directly from tax software reduces the risk of misinterpretation that can come from scanning the paper. (IRS was one of my customers pre-retirement)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...