Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have a Grizzly or Shop Fox Sliding Table Saw?

Anyone Have a Grizzly or Shop Fox Sliding Table Saw?

Hey guys I'm about to make my big purchase for the SawStop PCS. Before doing so I can't help but look at the Grizzly/Shop Fox sliding table saws for the same price ($3500). But of course they definitely aren't as nice as Felder or Hammer, however I just can't justify spending 5k+ right now on a table saw.

Are these cheaper models even worth looking at? Any advice would be great, especially if anyone has used/owned one of these.

The Griz 7.5hp short stroke 12" blade slider looks to be a nice machine but one has to deal with three phase to use it. 'Not sure why they didn't slap a nice single phase 5hp motor in that machine, honestly. The SCM/Minimax SC-2 would be more to my liking for a very small slider. I'm not at all excited about the Griz 10" machine's design, but it's certainly a lower cost, single phase short stroke slider in the same general price range as a high end cabinet saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't know where you are Josh, but I've been trying to ignore this as it's relatively in my back yard

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....31#post3098531

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Don't know where you are Josh, but I've been trying to ignore this as it's relatively in my back yard

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....31#post3098531
    Ha yea I saw that but unfortunately it's about 8 hours away from me. I may contact him though to see if I could arrange shipping. But wouldn't I still need an outrigger for this to really use it to it's full potential? I couldn't seem to find one to buy online, but I saw peopling saying it's about $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The Griz 7.5hp short stroke 12" blade slider looks to be a nice machine but one has to deal with three phase to use it. 'Not sure why they didn't slap a nice single phase 5hp motor in that machine, honestly. The SCM/Minimax SC-2 would be more to my liking for a very small slider. I'm not at all excited about the Griz 10" machine's design, but it's certainly a lower cost, single phase short stroke slider in the same general price range as a high end cabinet saw.
    Thanks Jim, good to know. I was worried about the Grizzly/Shop Fox 10" not being especially well made/designed. Unfortunately the Minimax is still over $5k, which I just can't do right now unless I'm mistaken.

I purchased the G0623X about 4 months ago. I chose this saw for the cost and it fits my shop, I don't have the room for an 8 or 9' slider. I wanted the mini max but the shipping was $1,000 vs $175 I think. The saw has worked well for me so far. I am doing a lot of kitchens these days and wanted the slider for that purpose. It cuts accurate panels so much faster and easier than a traditional cabinet saw. I would never go back. Changing to a dado blade was kind of a pain at the beginning but now that I have done it a few times it doesn't take very long at all. I'm happy with the saw especially at this price point. I still would rather of had the mini max but just couldn't justify it at this time.

We now know you are 8 hours from Tenn, but not which direction :-) There is a short stroke Laguna slider in Mid Wisconson, which looks to be a pretty good saw.
    Terry T.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    We now know you are 8 hours from Tenn, but not which direction :-) There is a short stroke Laguna slider in Mid Wisconson, which looks to be a pretty good saw.
    Terry T.
    Sorry, I'm in Richmond VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Hey Jim, so the SC 2C Minimax is considered a small slider, but it can still crosscut a full sheet of plywood right? The larger ones just have increased rip capacity on the slider I assume. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    I purchased the G0623X about 4 months ago. I chose this saw for the cost and it fits my shop, I don't have the room for an 8 or 9' slider. I wanted the mini max but the shipping was $1,000 vs $175 I think. The saw has worked well for me so far. I am doing a lot of kitchens these days and wanted the slider for that purpose. It cuts accurate panels so much faster and easier than a traditional cabinet saw. I would never go back. Changing to a dado blade was kind of a pain at the beginning but now that I have done it a few times it doesn't take very long at all. I'm happy with the saw especially at this price point. I still would rather of had the mini max but just couldn't justify it at this time.
    Hey Jack what are the main features you feel like you're missing by not having the Mini Max? Is it just more of a quality feel or actual features? Does the Grizzly easily lock in at 90 degrees? Any problems with it at all? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Hey Jim, so the SC 2C Minimax is considered a small slider, but it can still crosscut a full sheet of plywood right? The larger ones just have increased rip capacity on the slider I assume. Is that correct?
    Correct, the SC2 can easily crosscut a 4x8 sheet.

Hey Jack what are the main features you feel like you're missing by not having the Mini Max? Is it just more of a quality feel or actual features? Does the Grizzly easily lock in at 90 degrees? Any problems with it at all? Thanks for the help!
    Josh it is really just the quality as you suggest, not features. My experiance with Grizzly tools is that they usually get the job done but the fit and finish is not always the best. While this saw does what it is supposed to do it would not hold it's own with the mini max in that regard. It locks at 90 every time and will make very accurate cuts. I have had zero problems with the saw and I have used it quite a bit.

Yes, I'd definitely recommend it. I owned one for quite a while. I've also seen similar Hammer saws and wasn't too impressed. Felder is probably a step up though.

I wrote a detailed review here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ble-Saw-Review

Thanks Jim, good to know. I was worried about the Grizzly/Shop Fox 10" not being especially well made/designed. Unfortunately the Minimax is still over $5k, which I just can't do right now unless I'm mistaken.
    List price for the SC-2 is $4999 at last glance. Have a conversation with Sam Blasco and see what the possibilities are. Do the same with the Hammer/Felder rep for your geography Do keep in mind that short stroke sliders are more adept at cross cutting and ripping tends to get done more conventionally with the rip fence. They provide the benefits of both a cabinet saw and the insane repeatability of a true slider. That latter part is why I'd never go back to a cabinet saw if I have the choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

looking at the not well made saw now as write this. if had 5 grand to spend and had no saw would buy grizzly again and spend the savings on other tools. lot easier to get parts for saw also. if grizzly part on backorder shop foxx will probally have...