Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra Miter Gauge

Incra Miter Gauge

I am looking at the Incra Miter gauges for my table saw. I think the 1000HD would be good, but not sure what the advantages either the 3000 or 5000 would have.

I am planning on getting into segmented turning, but I would probably use a wedgie sled for that.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have a SawStop. I replaced the OEM miter gauge with an IncraHD.

For 99% of my cross cutting, I use home made cross cut sleds. I do go to the IncraHD when I want to do angles other than 90 degrees.

I do some segmented turning and for that, as the blocks/segments can be pretty small, I also use a wedgie sled.

So I highly recommend the IncraHD, as a very good miter gauge, but it doesn't get priority for most of my cuts.

Rich,
    I have no personal experience with the 3000 or 5000. But I do have the 1000HD and it is a really nice tool. Be aware that it is heavy. So much so that I removed the stop that came with it and made a lighter weight one out of wood. FWIW, I also have an Incra V27, which I find to be entirely adequate.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have the combo: 1000se with the express sled and it's been generally fabulous. I use it on a dewalt saw, so the saw is definitely far more of a limiter than the gauge/sled. The gauge is very easy to set to any given angle. Really the only thing I don't like is the tape measure, since I've never really been able to keep it lined up with the blade. That said, I've never really missed it as I'm dealing with the corect cut length in other ways in any case.

I have the 1000 HD and it's been a pleasure to use. Highly recommend it.

There's a little bit of a learning curve to the 1000 HD for doing fractions of a degree. Once you understand what to do it's pretty easy. But until then you might be looking at the directions a few times. Mine was given to me as a Christmas present but now that I have it I don't use any of the other miter gauges I have. The only thing I don't like is the fence needs to be slid sideways to avoid the blade hitting it when the blade is tilted. It's a 3/16 hex head screw so you have to have an Allen wrench. It's not something I keep at the table saw so it usually requires me to fumble through the tool drawer. One of these days I'll get a T handle and make a spot on the saw for it to stay or try to convert it to a thumb screw.

I have the 1000se. It is wonderful. A couple caveats:

1) If you own a saw stop, cutting into aluminum will trip the blade. DAMHIKT. THREE times and counting
    2) Adjustments require the hex screwdriver. Some people have changed a couple of these out for knurled knobs, but if you know Incra, you'll know there are a million of these little buggers. They allow you a lot of precision and control, and it doesn't really slow me down. But you just have to get used to it.

I do wish every now and then that I had the longer fence of the 3000. I toy with getting the 5000 sled, but just haven't had enough need for it. I would suggest this might be useful if you are cutting a lot of smaller pieces like in segmented turning. However, you might consider just making a custom sled that can be built once and never has to be reset.

Last I will suggest that the angle accuracy of the Incra is very good and spot on. However, I find that I often have to switch between mitering and beveling. To this end, I have come to appreciate and rely more on a Wixey digital angle gauge for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    There's a little bit of a learning curve to the 1000 HD for doing fractions of a degree. Once you understand what to do it's pretty easy. But until then you might be looking at the directions a few times. Mine was given to me as a Christmas present but now that I have it I don't use any of the other miter gauges I have. The only thing I don't like is the fence needs to be slid sideways to avoid the blade hitting it when the blade is tilted. It's a 3/16 hex head screw so you have to have an Allen wrench. It's not something I keep at the table saw so it usually requires me to fumble through the tool drawer. One of these days I'll get a T handle and make a spot on the saw for it to stay or try to convert it to a thumb screw.
    Maybe they quit doing it but mine came with a screwdriver handle ball hex key for adjusting as needed. I've probably had mine 7 or 8 years. It's quite possible this was eliminated from the package as a cost saving method. The adjustability of it is one of the things that makes it so good. Flip down stop for multiple pieces.

I have the SE which came with the ball head Allen wrench. It has been a great addition, and I would buy it again.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I am looking at the Incra Miter gauges for my table saw. I think the 1000HD would be good, but not sure what the advantages either the 3000 or 5000 would have.

I am planning on getting into segmented turning, but I would probably use a wedgie sled for that.
    I've run a V-27 since back when they were under $30. I have one for the router table as well. The amount of features that are valuable on a miter gauge depend on how you use it. I use a miter gauge for all the 'tweener' cuts. Anything "small" or "big" gets the sled but the miter gauge gets plenty of use as well. My picture frames are all made with the stops on the miter gauge and come out pretty air tight so I would call me a satisfied customer of a basic Incra gauge.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank all of you for your responses. Sounds like my next purchase will be the 1000 HD or SE -depending on availability. I have to wait for the next credit card cycle. Spent my allowance this month - Jessem Stock Guides.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I’ve owned the 1000HD as well as the 5000 sled. All are good but I just purchased the Jessem Miter II and really like it better than the 1000HD and the 5000 miter.
    Last edited by Bill Sutherland; 02-16-2021 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Misspell

I added a magnet to keep my ball head Allen wrench handy for adjustments. I enjoy using my 1000 hd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    I’ve owned the 1000HD as well as the 5000 sled. All are good but I just purchased the Jessem Miter II and really like it better than the 1000HD and the 5000 miter.
    I was looking at this one as well but it is more expensive. It may be worth it. It will also depend on what is available when I actually go to buy it in a couple of weeks. I do like Jessem products - the board hold downs for the tablesaw work great. I bought the hold downs with the help of people on this forum through the posts for these lately.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hilden View Post
    I added a magnet to keep my ball head Allen wrench handy for adjustments. I enjoy using my 1000 hd.
    That's a good idea.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich