Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISO30 Spindle limitations - Cutter Size

Re the Felder router spindle, I thought of that as well, along with the extra RPM available from a VFD. But you're still stuck with swapping cutters and setting depth.

A quick change spindle, combined with a simple CNC control and preset tools, would be awesome. I've thought about the same sort of thing. But for my use, it would really just be a nifty toy. The time and money would be better spent on a CNC router.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    If the goal is a small cnc tenoner, you might be farther ahead to find a Harris/Millbury bench top tenoner and rework it for cnc control.
    The millbury tenoner is a neat idea. That would probably do 95% of the tenoning that I do and one can install a coping head which would speed up shoji making.

Now....to find and restore one...
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Re the Felder router spindle, I thought of that as well, along with the extra RPM available from a VFD. But you're still stuck with swapping cutters and setting depth.

A quick change spindle, combined with a simple CNC control and preset tools, would be awesome. I've thought about the same sort of thing. But for my use, it would really just be a nifty toy. The time and money would be better spent on a CNC router.
    This was my plan got the router, I may go that direction still and separate off the tenoning work.

We have a 919 and you will never get any spec from HSD for anything larger than 2" or so I believe. We run a nearly 4" cutter that is colossally out of spec. Thinking of a router table on steroids that can run shaper cutters may be a stretch.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, been driving to that conclusion. Was worth a trip down the rabbet hole just to see if this was feasible.

I have a 4" dia cutter pair that I use on my spindle, but they are rated to spin at 12k. Those work very well. I tried the shaper adapter on my machine with a 6" cutter and it made me nervous. I recall Joe chatting on the woodweb with a guy from the EU about different bearing specs and lubricants to achieve very tight tolerances and I am not sure this is a road I would go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Yeah, been driving to that conclusion. Was worth a trip down the rabbet hole just to see if this was feasible.
    Supplier data will be far better than this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I have a 4" dia cutter pair that I use on my spindle, but they are rated to spin at 12k. Those work very well. I tried the shaper adapter on my machine with a 6" cutter and it made me nervous. I recall Joe chatting on the woodweb with a guy from the EU about different bearing specs and lubricants to achieve very tight tolerances and I am not sure this is a road I would go down.
    Your 4" cutter is a mile out of spec for the spindle, regardless of rated RPM. We are doing the same. Its a roll of the dice. The day could come where all hell breaks loose and your out the cost of a new spindle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Supplier data will be far better than this place.
    My googling was failing me on this one, normally I just search online.

Mark, I contacted HSD and discussed this. The chart I pasted is for the ES919. At 12k, with the cutter 90mm below the nut I can run a cutter up to 3.5kg. This cutter block I use is nowhere near that heavy. I suppose if one is pushing as fast as you can it the HP demand would exceed what the spindle is capable of, but I have never had any issues.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 02-16-2021 at 4:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Mark, I contacted HSD and discussed this. The chart I pasted is for the ES919. At 12k, with the cutter 90mm below the nut I can run a cutter up to 3.5kg. This cutter block I use is nowhere near that heavy. I suppose if one is pushing as fast as you can it the HP demand would exceed what the spindle is capable of, but I have never had any issues.

Nor have I. Im running slightly larger diameter than that but its a risk. In the end I think Mr. H was likely considering how close his options were to shaper level... :-)