Thread: Major Frustration: Adobe Illustrator Will Not Set Stroke Below 0.0. What the Heck?

Major Frustration: Adobe Illustrator Will Not Set Stroke Below 0.0. What the Heck?

I've spent two hours dealing with this, haven't found an answer online to solve it. Aaargh.

I have a beautiful entry-level Epilog Zing laser cutter that I've using for the better part of a year -- no issues. Instead of Corel Draw I use Adobe Illustrator to cut my shapes, which has also been close to flawless.

This morning, I went to cut some shapes and noticed that AI will not allow the stroke to be changed manually. The lowest it will go is .025 or, also, 0.0. The required stroke setting for this machine is .0001 which, again, has worked flawlessly for the better part of a year.

What the heck is going on? I feel like I must have accidentally clicked on some feature that is preventing this reset of the stroke.

Oh, it also appears that all the AI files I've cut successfully for almost a year -- and there are dozens of them -- have reset to this same 0.0 stroke and now NONE of them will print.

I set aside this morning for cutting because my wife has asthma and I wanted to get everything cut while she wasn't home.

Oh, I've also emptied my cache of all temp files and run a virus scan.

I'm certain this is something simple

Thanks very much,

Unlasered in L.A,

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 02-14-2021 at 3:40 PM.

Hi Scott,
    I'm not in the factory at the moment
    Don't quote me but i'm pretty sure the laser will still vector cut
    at .003, i know the Fusion Pro does.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

I'm not familiar with Illustrator very much, but have you tried going into Preferences and resetting them on quit? (If Illustrator has them in the same location as Photoshop It's Click On Edit in the Menu bar then on Preferences at the very bottom, a new window will popup on the left will be a selection of items, under general in the middle on the right portion will be a button reading Reset Preferences on Quit)

Hope this helps.
    Trotec Speedy 360 - 80W, Graphtec CE6000-60, Brother GTX, Sawgrass SG400

Quote Originally Posted by vic casware View Post
    Hi Scott,
    I'm not in the factory at the moment
    Don't quote me but i'm pretty sure the laser will still vector cut
    at .003, i know the Fusion Pro does.
    Thanks.

You know, it appears on most of the files the software actually WILL set to .0001 stroke, except AI only shows this in the stroke window on the right, not the one at the top of the menu. For some reason, that one wants to show 0.0 no matter what I do.

I was able to cut some material finally once I realized this, but still very puzzling.

sm

Are you on the newest version of AI? V25.2? If so are you running Windows 7-Pro or older, this could be causing issues. The new version of AI does not like my Windows 7 Pro. I had to upgrade to windows 10.
    If you are running the newest version of Ai go back a version or 2 and reload it.
    9 - ULS 460 Lasers
    2 - ULS 360 Laser
    1 - ULS 600 laser

2 Sandblasters
    UV Rotary Printer